Air Date: September 30, 2013
When Lily discovers Teds list of things he wants to do in New York before he moves for Chicago, she becomes frustrated that she is the only person who knows about his plans. Meanwhile, Robin and Barney realize they have very little time together before their relatives arrive for their wedding.
The episode provides examples of:
- Big Applesauce: One of the things in Ted's list of "Things I do before I leave New York" was to have a last talk with The Empire State building.
- Lily then concludes that the list must have to be one of Ted's hardest things to do, since he loves the city so much.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: When Lily discovers that Ted and Marshall destroyed the dress she was going to use in the Rehearsal Diner, she makes them use embarrassing outfits since they made her use something she didn't want to. Ted had to use a 20's bathing suit, and Marshall had to use a Packers t-shirt and tie at a local store in Wisconsin.
- Crazy-Prepared: One item on Ted's list before he leaves New York was for Lily giving him one last life lecture.
- Dramatic Drop: Ted lets a $600 bottle of scotch fall to the ground when Barney confronts him for holding Robin's hand.
- Grammar Nazi: One item on Ted's list is to fix some graffiti that read "your a penis."
- Heroic Sacrifice: James distracts their elderly relatives so Barney and Robin can catch some alone time.James: Man, why does the brother always die first?
- Karma Houdini: Compared to Cool and Unusual Punishment above, Lily got a new bottle of scotch to replace the one she accidentally broke (and tried to cover it up by mixing a look-a-like Glen McKenna into a new bottle). Would sound pretty reasonable, except she stole it.
- Mundane Made Awesome: How Ted solves the crossword. He and The Mother remarks about it a year later.2014!Ted: I wasn't being all showboaty about it!Present!Ted: Vesuvius! BOOYAH!!!! Oh wait, that doesn't fit.
- Old-Timey Bathing Suit: Ted is forced to wear one on display at the inn.Robin: Ah! I found Waldo.
- Wham Line: "I saw you and Robin at the carousel."