- Calvin and Hobbes try to disable the super volcano under Yellowstone National Park. However, the evil Dr. Brainstorm has other ideas.
Calvin and Hobbes watch a commercial for a documentary about Yellowstone Park's volcano, and upon questioning his mother explains that there's a super-volcano underneath it that hasn't erupted for a good while. Naturally, Calvin's terrified that it would destroy the Earth.
Unbeknown to anyone, there is another secret right underneath Calvin's very city - an Elaborate Underground Base belonging to one Dr. Brainstorm! His newest invention, the Servant Ray, is complete. Unfortunately, it turns out to run on Reverse Psychology - it does the opposite of what Brainstorm commands it to do. Yep, the guy's Stupid Evil (with emphasis on "stupid"), and his robot Jack will not let this fact go.
Nonplussed, he heads to Yellowstone Park to set up their new headquarters and plot to Take Over the World, and also get a good view of Old Faithful. His "Secret Hideout Seed" works perfectly, but unfortunately he didn't have the foresight to add a door to it.
Meanwhile, Calvin and Hobbes are heading to the volcano to freeze it so that it doesn't erupt in his lifetime. Unfortunately, Brainstorm views them as trying to overthrow him, so he traps them in his lab with a Tractor Beam. The mad doctor prepares to use his inventions on Calvin.
To be continued in Part 2
- Apocalypse How: Calvin fears Old Faithful would blot out the sun for more than 50 years and maybe make a new ice age (causing a Class 2 and eventually a Class 3b to Class 6).
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs:Calvin: That's a dumb name. Why not something interesting? Like Doctor Doom, or Doctor Chaos, or Doctor Chaotic Doom?
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Hobbes warns the audience about Calvin messing with a volcano.
- Character Tics: Jack will lean on anything in sight when standing still.
- Nightmare Fuel: Calvin has this reaction In-Universe to the documentary.
- The manner in which Calvin accidentally throws the MTM out the window, and Susie's reaction, mirror a similar scene in the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Frankendoodle".
- Brainstorm wants to make sure that Batman or Spider-Man don't bust him, to which Jack responds that they wouldn't bother with him.
- Stuff Blowing Up: The commercial, which startles Calvin.
- Tractor Beam: Brainstorm uses one on Calvin and Hobbes.
- Unfortunate Names: Calvin isn't very fond of Brainstorm's name.