"The Swedes" is the ninth episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine's third season.
Jake and Rosa nab a Swedish jewel thief who's stolen a large amount of Swedish national treasure. Holt then assigns the two to work with a pair of Swedish detectives to try and find the rest of the stolen loot. Culture clashes immediately occur. But while Jake fully agrees that the Swedes are odd and should be made fun of, he sees how close they are to each other and this makes him question the nature of his own friendship with Rosa.
Meanwhile, Gina is thinking of giving up on her Astronomy class but Amy and Terry decide to try and get her excited about her studies once again.
Also, Kevin is off on a six-month exchange program at the Sorbonne so Holt enlists Charles' help in maintaining his and Kevin's domination of their squash club's championship. Charles is torn between trying to look good in front of his boss and unleashing his inner beast.
There's also a brand new snack machine in the break room. Things quickly go wrong.
This episode provides examples of:
- Always Someone Better:
- Jake and Rosa spend most of the episode playing catch up to the Swedish detectives.
- As it turns out, Neil deGrasse Tyson can squat about twice as much as Terry can.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Soren and Agneta say some incredibly bitchy things about Jake and Rosa while never changing their polite, friendly demeanor.
- Call-Back: Scully continues to have an unnatural attraction to vending machines. He weeps when the new machine catches on fire.
- The Cameo: Neil deGrasse Tyson makes an appearance as a friend of Terry's. Tyson attempts to use his reputation to excite Gina about Astronomy but Gina, naturally, has no idea who he is.
- Eating the Eye Candy: Gina doesn't care about the content of Amy and Terry's dance about the solar system. She lets them go on for an hour because it means she gets to watch Terry gyrate while getting sweaty.
- Establishing Character Moment: The Swedes establish what non-snobbish regular guys they are when Jake and Rosa first meet them.Holt: This is Inspector Knausgaard and Deputy Inspector Carlsson. Their flight here was eight hours. [to them] It's been a pleasure talking with you about the duration of your flight. Good day. [leaves]Jake: Well, there goes my opening question about how long your flight was.Soren: It was eight hours.Jake: Yeah, no, I got that. I was joking, sorry. It must have got lost in translation.Soren: No, we understand you perfectly. Everyone in Sweden speaks English.Agneta: We also speak Norwegian, Dutch, German, French, Russian, and Finnish. But not Danish. That is a garbage language for garbage people.Soren: Yah.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Jake and Charles decide to christen the precinct's new snack machine with a bottle of champagne (although as Charles points out, "technically it's a Hungarian Pezsgo from the Tarnok Valley.") This goes about as well as can be expected.
- Platonic Life-Partners: Agneta and Soren are so close that they walk around holding hands and sauna in the nude together. Soren even donated sperm when Agneta and her husband were having trouble conceiving (he had a sample ready in a sealed Tupperware container before she even asked).
- Serious Business: Squash is one of the few things that gets the mild-mannered Charles completely, utterly worked up.
- Sexy Scandinavian: The duo of Swedish detectives. They are both hot. Lampshaded by Jake who says they're all tall and beautiful. They're also jerks.
- Shipper on Deck: Once again, in offering suggestions for ways that Jake and Amy can celebrate their six-month anniversary, Charles Boyle manages to express his support for their burgeoning relationship in the most inappropriate manner possible:Charles: Put a baby in her, Jake. What are you waiting for?
- Too Much Information: Agneta and Soren share way too much information for Jake and Rosa's liking. Soren even talks about Agneta's vaginal pH levels.
- The Unfettered: Holt urges Charles to let loose on the squash court because he wants to win the championship for a third consecutive time. To put it simply, they win the championship but they're also banned from ever competing again because of Charles' behavior.Holt: I need you to unleash...THE BEAST.