Mr. Peanutbutter announces the Oscar nominees, of whom BoJack is one. As he celebrates, BoJack becomes more involved with his admirers, while his friendships start to falter. However, it is later revealed that Mr. Peanutbutter had lost the envelope containing the real nominees, and BoJack had never been nominated in the first place.
- An Aesop: Stated rather bluntly in Todd's rant, a Freudian Excuse is never an excuse. Whatever issues you may have, they don't mean you can dump your baggage on people and make their lives difficult, then turn around and feel sorry for yourself.
- Captain Peanutbutter tells his little brother to get ready to say goodbye... to his twisted spleen.
- For a moment it seems like Jimmy Fallon is about to suffer the same fate as Andrew Garfield in Todd's and Mister Peanutbutter's Halloween store. Then he's run over by a bus instead.
- Continuity Nod: Bojack's wild Oscar nomination party has several species of lemurs doing drugs, much like the parties Sara Lynn threw in Season 1.
- Downer Ending: Mr. Peanutbutter made up the Oscar Nominees announcements because he lost the envelope while trying to get bakc his cellphone, and BoJack is not a nominee after all. All of his party guests - as well as Ana - leave him, not before having alienated Diane, leaving him alone, and the episode ends with Todd, the one person who's been fiercely loyal to BoJack despite his flaws, washing his hands of him.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Todd may not be the smartest character in the show, but even he knows to put his foot down when someone uses their Freudian Excuse to justify hurting other people.
- Foreshadowing: Diane tells BoJack that no one is going to be around when he kills himself (and, by extension, that she won't be there to stop him). Sure enough, come the season finale, BoJack drives at full speed in the desert and no one is around to see him. Then, in the penultimate episode of the series, BoJack tries to drown himself, but not before sending a voicemail to Diane that guilt trips her for moving to Chicago and not being there to save him.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: In a "blink and you'll miss it" moment, a close watching of the sewer scene reveals exactly when Mr. Peanutbutter lost the nomination envelope: right as he accidentally stepped onto the alligator's head, the envelope flies out of his pocket.
- Freudian Excuse Is No Excuse: The main lesson of the episode. Todd tells Bojack point blank that he can't make things more difficult for other people because he's experienced trauma.
- How We Got Here: A flashback reveals why Mister Peanutbutter was late to host the Oscar nominations.
- Opening Shout-Out: Bojack tries to drive away in his new Tesla (which is in his living room. Don't ask.), but because he Had the Silly Thing in Reverse, he accidentally reverses into his pool in a shot mimicking the title sequence where he drunkenly falls backwards into it.
- Precision F-Strike: Todd gives the show's requisite once-per-season f-bomb at the end of his rant to BoJack. See below.
- Reality Ensues:
- Mr. Peanutbutter's false nominees would not go unnoticed by the Oscar executives, specially after he nominated Avatar.
- Why didn't BoJack get an Oscar nomination? The rules for the actor awards state that the actor must appear on-screen during the movie. However, BoJack's role in Secretariat used a CGI model. Of course, this fact was supposed to be a secret, but it's possible the Academy noticed anyway and disqualified him.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech:
- Bojack ends up on the end of two of these in one episode. The first from Diane after they get into a fight over Bojack's fake happiness.Diane: You know what's gonna happen? You're gonna win that Oscar, and you're gonna go up on that stage and give your little speech, and then you're gonna go home. And you're gonna be so miserable, you'll want to kill yourself. And you're gonna have nobody left to stop you.
- The second is when Todd unloads a lot of built-up anger onto BoJack. And just to give it extra weight, it's how the episode ends.Todd: You can't keep doing this! You can't keep doing shitty things, and then feel bad about yourself like that makes it okay! You need to be better!
BoJack: I know, and I'm sorry, okay? I was drunk, and there was all this pressure with the Oscar campaign, but now that it's over-
Todd: No. No, BoJack, just stop. You are all the things that are wrong with you. It's not the alcohol, or the drugs, or any the shitty things that happened to you in your career or when you were a kid, it's you! Alright? It's you.
(A long, thoughtful pause)
Todd: (disheartened) Fuck, man. What else is there to say?
- Bojack ends up on the end of two of these in one episode. The first from Diane after they get into a fight over Bojack's fake happiness.
- Shout Out: The turtles in the sewer sequence are wearing blue, purple, red and orange bandanas.
- Title Drop: Todd does this in his "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Bojack.