Towering tells the story of Wyatt, a seventeen year old who moves to Long Island after a personal tragedy and finds himself drawn to a mysterious voice coming from a hidden tower in Alex Flinns reimagining of Rapunzel.
Tropes in this work:
- Adaptation Name Change: given the time and the setting, it'd be a little strange for the heroine to be called Rapunzel. Here she's called Rachel.
- Addictive Magic: the magical hallucinogenic plant rhapsody, responsible for the number of missing people.
- Dangerous 16th Birthday: Technically seventeenth for Rachel. It's also the reason why she was hidden in the tower
- Disappeared Dad: Both Wyatt and Rachel's fathers are out of the picture.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Rachel is naturally blonde and doesn't have a mean bone in her body
- Teen Pregnancy: Wyatt and Rachel were both born to teen mothers
- Urban Fantasy: Takes place in modern day New England