The Messenger of Fear series is a Young Adult book series written by Michael Grant. They're a mix of horror and dark fantasy, and center around Mara, an apprentice to the mysterious Messenger of Fear.
Together they deal out harsh punishment on the wicked who would otherwise escape justice, keeping the world in balance. The first book deals with Mara's quest to discover why she became an apprentice Messenger, while the second revolves around her trying to help Messenger and cope with the realities of her new life.
Currently, there are 2 books in the series and one e-book novella.
This series contains examples of:
- Fallen Hero: Mara discovers Oriax was once a Messenger, who chose to turn against them and become a demon of pleasure.
- Karma Houdini: The Messengers' job is to avert this, punishing people that would otherwise get away with evil acts. This also happens in-universe, with Haarm and Oliver getting away in the second book due to Oriax's meddling.
- Passing the Torch: The second book ends with Mara becoming a full-fledged Messenger.
- The Vamp: Oriax has power over pleasure and denial, and enthralls people of any gender effortlessly.
- Tomato in the Mirror: Mara spends some time trying to punish a bully for driving a girl with OCD named Savannah to suicide, only to discover she IS the bully after a while.
- "What Do They Fear?" Episode: A Messenger can enter a transgressor's mind to discover their worst fear, which they can then use against them should they fail the game.
- The Worm That Walks: The Master of the Game's appearance is never consistent, but the one constant is tiny humans crawling around on his body that meet horrible fates.