Lady and the Tramp is a Disney media franchise that is loosely based on the 1945 short story "Happy Dan, The Cynical Dog" by Ward Greene, which would later serve as an inspiration for a more famous animated film in 1955.
The story is about two dogs: a pampered Cocker Spaniel named Lady, and a stray mongrel named Tramp, who meet and fall in love with each other in an American small town in the early 20th century. The original movie is perhaps most remembered for its signature scene involving the two dogs sharing a spaghetti kiss.
Works in the franchise include:
- "Happy Dan, the Cynical Dog" (1945), the original short story written by Ward Greene.
- Lady and the Tramp: The Story of Two Dogs (1953), a novelization of the film by Ward Greene that was published before the film's release.
- Lady and the Tramp (1955), the Disney animated film.
- Lady and the Tramp (2019), a direct-to-digital live-action remake of the 1955 film.
- Scamp (1955-1988), a newspaper comic strip based on the animated movie.