Stone plays Laura Griffin, a suburban housewife whose husband has invented an invisibility powder. After a successful test on the family dog, their mischievous son, Joshua, takes some of the powder and dumps it into a glass of cola, hoping to become invisible himself. Laura drinks the cola, not knowing what Joshua did, and becomes the Invisible Mom. Her husband has an antidote, if he can retrieve it from the lab.
In the 1999 sequel, Invisible Mom 2, Laura still has traces of the invisibility powder in her body. The Griffins adopt an orphaned boy whose relatives want him for his trust fund.
This film provides examples of:
- Foreshadowing: One of Joshua's T-shirts reads MY MOM IS NO. ONE, with the period worn off.
- I Drank WHAT?!: Soon after becoming invisible, Laura scolds Joshua when she learns about the powder that was in her cola.
- Invisible Streaker: Laura, of course.
- Naked Freak-Out: Laura has a mild one in the sequel, when her nude body suddenly materializes. Silently, she covers herself with a blanket from a nearby chair.
- Spiritual Successor: Invisible Dad had the same creative team but shared no actors with this film.