Il sorpasso is a 1962 Italian film directed by Dino Risi featuring Jean-Louis Trintignant and Vittorio Gassman. Its English title is The Easy Life though sometimes it remains untranslated.
It narrates a story of Roberto, a young and timid student, who is once swept away by Bruno, an energetic middle-aged man. The older one takes the younger one on the wild tour and the life will never be the same for him. Moreover, the life will never be for him at all...
It is considered one of the main films in the genre of commedia all'italiana although its tone is untypically dark for the genre and it somewhat approaches a straight drama with some breezy moments.
- Broken Pedestal: For Roberto in regard to Bruno at least partly when Roberto learns more details about Bruno's married life.
- The Casanova: Bruno, of course.
- Cool Car: Lancia Aurelia. Bruno also drives it down the eponymous Via Aurelia.
- Determinator: Bruno. In the end he is all too eager to overtake another car on the road.
- Downer Ending: Roberto is killed in an accident which destroyes Bruno's car
- Drives Like Crazy: Bruno.
- Intergenerational Friendship: A know-it-all Roberto and green, immature Bruno. Though in real life Gassman was only 8 years older than Trintignant.
- Shout-Out: L'eclisse of the same 1962 year is mentioned in this one as well as its creator Michelangelo Antonioni.
- Bruno: A me Modugno mi piace sempre, questo "Uomo in frac" me fa impazzi', perché pare 'na cosa de niente e invece c'è tutto: la solitudine, l'incomunicabilità, poi quell'altra cosa, quella che va di moda oggi... la... l'alienazione, come nei film di Antonioni. Hai visto "L'eclisse"? Io c'ho dormito, 'na bella pennichella...
- Untranslated Title: It at times goes in English under the name Il sorpasso.