- Never trust a corpse.
Dominic Monaghan stars as Arthur Blake, a grave robber who is in prison awaiting his execution at the guillotine. He is visited by Father Duffy (Ron Perlman), who wishes to record some of the events leading up to Blake's arrest. Blake begins with how he got started as the apprentice to Willie Grimes (Larry Fessenden), regaling Duffy with the impoverished nature of their original work over the years, and eventually telling how they jumped into the business of trafficking undead corpses.
Needs more Love.
I Sell The Dead contains examples of
- Actually, I Am Him: Arthur doesn't need to be told; he figures it out on his own that Father Duffy is really Samuel Murphy.
- Big Bad: Samuel Murphy, the Diabolical Mastermind controlling the ghoul trade.
- Big Damn Heroes: When Arthur is almost killed by the vampire, Willie, who ran away seconds earlier, bashes her with a shovel. His decapitated corpse also saves Arthur from being killed by Father Duffy/Samuel Murphy.
- Black Comedy: Nothing says funny like pulling a stake out of a vampire, releasing her from paralysis causing her to freak out, and plunging it back in to freeze her again... And doing it several times.
- Brick Joke: The zombie bite Willie received on the Murphy island. At the climax it resurrects his decapitated corpse, which saves Arthur from the revealed Samuel Murphy.
- Downer Ending: Despite saving Arthur from the last member of the House of Murphy, Willie ends up being consumed by his zombie hunger and trying to kill him, to unclear fate. Also, the lead hatchetman of the Murphies has become a super-strong, sentient zombie.