A 2009 American comedy-drama written and directed by Raymond De Felitta that has a prison guard (Andy García) and his family (Julianna Margulies, Emily Mortimer, and Ezra Miller) dealing with their secrets from each other, including his secret son (Steven Strait).
It was released on March 23, 2009.
Not to be confused with the cartoon City Island (2022).
Tropes for the film:
- Alliterative Name: Michael Malakov.
- Big Applesauce: Takes place in the titular neighbor in the Bronx.
- Chubby Chaser: Vince has plenty of family issues: in his teen son's case, it's his love of big women, including asking a fat girl at school to skip class with him so that he can feed her donuts, and a voyeuristic crush on their zatfig next-door neighbor. A foray in the dark corners of the internet leads him to stumble on a feedee webcam belonging to "Botero" - which is actually his neighbor's screen name, Hilarity Ensues. (When she discovers this, "Botero" does not kindle any romance with the boy, but rather plays Cyrano between him and the fat girl at the school). This subplot culminates with him on a couch, squished against the two objects of his affection while they munch on cheese puffs and watch TV."You're a classic feeder, Vinnie. You gain pleasure from giving pleasure".
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Molly is the catalyst to resolve the dysfunctional family's problems, but her own are not touched on until near the end of the film or resolved during its course, though one could optimistically interpret the manner of her self-effacing withdrawal from the action as her taking the first step towards doing so.
- Tagline: "Truth is stranger than family".