Border (Swedish: Gräns) is a 2018 Swedish fantasy film directed by Ali Abbasi based on a short story by John Ajvide Lindqvist.
Tina is a woman who works for the Swedish Customs, and her supernatural sense of smell allows her to detect suspicious people such as smugglers and pedophiles. She also looks quite weird (this film was nominated for Best Makeup and Hairstyling at the 91st Academy Awards) and is conscious that most people think she is ugly. One day she meets a man named Vore who looks similarly strange.
- Alien Lunch: Vore talks Tina into eating maggots.
- All Trolls Are Different: Trolls in this film pass as humans, if quite ugly (by human standards). Tina even has a job and a (human) boyfriend. Dogs dislike her, but wild animals are very friendly to her. And there is the way trolls reproduce.
- Bizarre Alien Sexes: Trolls have reversed sexual roles and organs, a fact that spectacularly comes to light when Tina and Vore make love.
- Doorstep Baby: The film ends with Tina finding a large box on her doorstep. In the box is a baby troll, and a postcard from Finland, where Vore says there is a community of trolls.
- Fan Disservice: The love scene between Tina and Vore.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Played with. Vore suggests that since some humans are pedophiles, they are therefore all monsters. Also humans have committed genocide against trolls.
- The Nose Knows: Tina can smell guilt and shame. She openly uses this in front of her colleagues.
- Oblivious Adoption: Tina is shocked to find out that her father isn't her real one.