Proof that the remaining 10% is worth being eaten by a Reaper Leviathan for here:
These are recommendations made by tropers for Subnautica fanfics, all of which have been signed by people. After a few samples, you will be able to note the interests of the tropers recommending them, and judge whether you might be also interested in a certain 'fic. No-name recommendations will be Zapped!.
Feel free to add a fanfic recommendation of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found herenote . Just copy'paste the source code and fill in the work specific fields. Do try and put in your recommendations by category and alphabetical order.
Reviews of fics are encouraged, but if you choose to write one, please make it substantive, and give specific details about what you liked / disliked in the fic. If you want to give a fic a thumbs-up without writing a full review, you can add your troper handle to the Recommendations Line.
Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
If you're still not sure how fanfic recommendations work, check out the main Fan Fic Recommendations page.
- Recommended by Calvin Boy Of Destiny
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: The tale of sole survivor Alexander Selkirk after the Aurora's crash landing on 4546B, or "Manannán" as he prefers. Now complete, but the sequel Borealis Rising is in progress.
- Comments: An excellent fanfiction, beginning as the game does, with the Aurora crashing and the protagonist awakening in the life pod, but ends up becoming a substantial fanfiction, introducing many new concepts such as a Cyclops armed with stasis and repulsion cannons.
- Now has its own trope page at Aurora Falls
- Recommended by Atomic-Punch
- Status: In-progress
- Synopsis: If the creatures in Subnautica created military factions and decided to fight each other for various reasons. Each faction has its own author.
- Comments: This isn't the first story in the series, but it stands well enough on it's own. It's a work in progress, but some of the writing, especially the posts written by "Narrator", is very good.
- The warper's faction, (the PH/SP) is written by Kingkuma, the author of the fantasy webcomic The Noordegraaf Files.
- Recommended by Jalaras
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: This is the story of passenger of the Aurora, designation 00FU ('real' name Appsro), and how he copes with and survives the world of Subnautica. Along with him are the help-desk people of the company he works for, who can be just as much a hindrance as a help. Now has a tropes page.
- Comments: What could've just been a regular cut and dry playthrough of the game is instead changed into a very funny and entertaining story by this gaming channel (not surprising consider that they're the creative minds behind "Doraleous and Associates" and "Battlefield Friends.") The playthrough frames itself as though Appsro is talking over the radio to other members of the Channel, who play the role of help-desk personnel back at headquarters (all treated as a flowing narrative in-game). If you like the Neebs Gaming crew at all, or just in general like stories based in the Subnautica world, then this is for you as it gets very amusing to watch Appsro struggle with people who are supposed to be helping him, but have their heads buried halfway in the sand. Completed.
- Link for individual episodes is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puU7C44XeAA&list=PL1Uou2DWH7IGBJGlBqXwYnv7nX8LhleCO
- Link for the first "season" compiled into one long video (running at over 8 hours long) is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwi12tpZc2w&t=14026s
Degasi by Coffeelemental
- Recommended by l156a21
- Status: In-progress
- Synopsis: Paul Torgal diverts his ship, the Degasi, to uncharted ocean planet 4546B in order to scan it for mineral wealth — only to doom himself, his son, and their bodyguard to a life of exile on a hostile alien world.
- Comments: Created by the artist who made the Undertale Fancomic The Anomaly, this speculative comic is the first to take what little is known from the game about the Degasi crew and turn it into an engaging story that's worth a read. This comic has also caught the attention of the game devs behind Subnautica who have enjoyed it thus far.
- Recommended by CapitanoNox
- Staus: In-Progress
- Synopsis: If you thought the current creatures of the game were already scary enough, perhaps you will fear the extinct ones even more...
- Comments: Other than new gameplay mechanics, this mod brings to life the monstrous Gargantuan Leviathan, making the Void more dangerous than ever. Even if still not public downloadable many videos can be found on YouTube, ensuring nightmares. It even received an Approval of God.