Aqua wakes up injured and amnesic in the middle of nowhere. Her only company is a masked boy named Vanitas who tells her that he is her best friend and that a boy named Ventus is the one that hurt her. Chaos ensures as Aqua struggles to make sense of her relationship with Vanitas, as Vanitas continues to manipulate her, and as Aqua's True Companions try to get her back.
The Road To Light contains examples of:
- Amnesiac Hero: Aqua
- Batman Gambit: Xehanort
- Becoming the Mask: Vanitas only pretends to be Aqua's friend at the start, but eventually becomes a true friend to her
- Big Bad: Xehanort in the second-last arc
- The Chess Master: Xehanort
- Chekhov's Gun: Aqua's Wayfinder
- Conflicting Loyalty: Vanitas is torn between his loyalty to his master and his newfound friendship with Aqua. He chooses Aqua.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Vanitas comes to realize this about himself.
- Dramatic Unmask: Vanitas finally reveals his face to Aqua in chapter 65
- Fighting Your Friend: Played with. Aqua goes up against Ven and Terra several times, but she honestly doesn't know they're her friends.
- Grey and Grey Morality: Vanitas constantly clashes with Terra and Ven. Both sides just want Aqua to be their friend.
- Love Redeems: In a platonic example, Vanitas's friendship with Aqua leads him to perform a HeelFace Turn
- Manipulative Bastard: Vanitas
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: In an attempt to kill Vanitas, Terra nearly kills Aqua. Just like Xehanort planned
- True Companions: Aqua, Terra and Ven. Now if only Aqua could remember that...
- Wham Line: From chapter 1: "I'm your friend, Vanitas. Ventus is the one who did this to you."
- Why Did It Have To Be Disneytown?: Vanitas' reaction when he and Aqua are caught up in one of Disneytown's festivals