Everyone is born with the name of their soulmate on their hand. Everyone but Elsa, at least. Elsa was born with scribbles on her hand. She grew up believing she didn't have a soulmate, but that changed when an overseas traveler arrived in Arendelle. It turns out that Elsa does have someone's name on her hand after all: Fa Mulan, a legendary hero in China.
Despite being a soulmark Alternate Universe fic, Love Worth Waiting For doesn't change much about the narrative of Frozen or Mulan. It just adds in soulmarks into the work's universes.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: Elsa is even more troubled than in canon because she not only does she have unusual ice powers, but she also grew up thinking she was unlovable because she had a "gibberish" soulmark.
- Alternate Universe Fic: Everyone is born with the name of their soulmate on their hand. This doesn't change much for Frozen's story, though there are some alterations. For example, Elsa began wearing gloves as a baby, not a seven-year old, to hide her "weird" markings.
- Ambiguously Christian: Elsa was given a baptismal at three months. What religion she was baptised in isn't mentioned, as well as what denomination if it was a Christian baptism.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Elsa is a kind and enlightened ruler, and rightfully beloved by her people. She also can and will, with eagerness, slaughter fleets which attempt to attack her kingdom.
- Canon Character All Along: Little Brother's soulmate is Peter Pan.
- Crossover: Between Frozen and Mulan. There's also some Peter Pan later on.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: Everyone is expected to have a soulmate. Much of their life revolves around this. To not have a soulmate is very unusual and tragic.
- Language Barrier: Elsa's first language is English while Mulan's is Mandarin. Elsa knows a little Mandarin from reading a book based off Mulan's story, while Mulan learned English on her journey to meet Elsa, but there's still some difficulties with communication. They are trying their best though.
- Mistaken for Dying: When Elsa was an infant her parents worried she wouldn't live to adulthood. She was unusually pale, quiet, and cold for a baby.
- My Blood Runs Hot: Inverted. Elsa is cold to the touch.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Mulan's youngest recruit is a young boy that is not even a teenager. Everyone just calls him "Little Brother" (later "Little Hook").
- Princesses Rule: Though she had regents, Elsa rarely needed their help between the three years before she was crowned queen.
- Setting Update: The story is predominantly a Frozen one, so Mulan's setting has been changed. It takes place in the 1800s at earliest.
- Soulmate AU Fic: Almost everyone is born with their romantic soulmate's name on their hand.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Downplayed. At her baptismal, Elsa is unusually solemn for a three month old. Prior to Anna's birth, Elsa had never smiled.