May Zedong enjoys people watching. Despite the cold climate, she naturally finds herself doing this while at Beacon for the Vytal Tournament. All is well and good until she sees a girl with silver eyes and a red hood. With the help of Team NDGO, May challenges Ruby to a challenge of marksmanship under the alias "Longshot" in an attempt to win her heart.
In My Sights provides examples of:
- Ascended Extra: Teams NDGO and BRNZ get more focus here in canon, with May in particular being the protagonist while NDGO helps her.
- Bookends: An unintentional example. All the chapters between the beginning and epilogue (with the exception of the alternate ending) are titled "X shot" note . However, this is partially because the story was intended as a one-shot.
- Demoted to Extra: While they aren't completely gone, Teams RWBY and JNPR take a backseat in the fic, with the possible exception of Ruby.
- Friendly Sniper: Ruby is most certainly this. May could qualify as well but her social anxiety makes her a more downplayed case.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: May has this, thanks to her social anxiety.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Gwen of Team NDGO is revealed to have feelings for May though whether this was before or after May came to them for help is unknown.
- Long-Distance Relationship: Inevitable given that May and Ruby go to different schools. The epilogue reveals they had a successful one until they graduated.
- Loves My Alter Ego: Inverted. Ruby ends up falling in love with May during her challenge against Longshot. She fully intended to reject Longshot before she was revealed to be May.
- The Matchmaker: Dew serves this role for May and Ruby. Though she's such a romantic that she outright refuses to allow May to take the simple situation like asking Ruby out and takes control of May's clothes for her date and the location for her date etc.
- Not Helping Your Case: After realizing May and Longshot are one and the same after she just rejected Longshot, Ruby has this to say when she catches up to her:
- Ruby: There was just one problem. You May, you were my problem.
- Oblivious to Love: May doesn't even realize she's in love until it's pointed out by Team NDGO.
- Revised Ending: Chapter 17 is this, ending with May getting together with Gwen.
- Running Gag: Dew's "observation" being called stalking and her denial of it.
- Stealth Expert: May's challenge is to test both the long-range shooting aspect of a sniper as well as the stealth aspect. As such the participants have to shoot the target, without allowing their opponent to take a picture of them. Ruby loses points at the start because while, she's an excellent marksman, she doesn't usually go for the stealthy approach like May does.