Like the name implies, it's based around Kimber and Stormer's relationship from the episode "The Bands Break Up". The fic is a more grown-up Perspective Flip on events the episode. It centers around the conflict between Stormer's romantic feelings towards Kimber and her loyalty to her old band, the Misfits.
Despite Bad Influence's promising nature, the fic hasn't been updated since 2004.
Bad Influence provides examples of:
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Jetta and Roxy have a belligerent sort of relationship. They fight over Pizzazz and squabble over each other, but at the same time they tend to make-out a lot as well.
- Dead Fic: It's incomplete at only two chapters and hasn't been updated since 2004.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: Jem takes place in the 1980s, so the fic has 1980s-era sensibilities on same-gender relationships. Jerrica and Aja aren't outraged by Kimber's relationship with Stormer, but they're obviously uncomfortable with it.
- Even the Girls Want Her: According to Jetta's gaydar, Lin-Z is so into Jem and the Holograms because she wants Jem to herself.
- Heartbreak and Ice Cream: While not exactly heartbreak, it is mentioned that Kimber and Stormer discussed tough topics over ice cream.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Deconstructed. Kimber sees herself as having a close buddy/buddy friendship with Stormer, but Stormer's outright in love with Kimber. Kimber's sisters also do not see their bond as "just friendship".
- No Bisexuals: Appears as a part of the Deliberate Values Dissonance. Upon noticing Kimber's relationship with Stormer, Jerrica and Aja instantly come to the conclusion that she's lesbian. The idea of her liking both men and women never comes to mind.
- Slash Fic: Bad Influence ships Kimber and Stormer together. Stormer is in love with Kimber, but Kimber's feelings are more ambiguous.