Applejack and Big Macintosh have always told Apple Bloom that their parents died years ago in a tragic accident. But in reality, the two have been keeping a shocking family secret since the tragedy, and they finally decide to tell Apple Bloom the truth about her and themselves. With this secret out, can their tight bond survive?
Warning: Unmarked spoilers ahead! Read at your own risk!
This fic contains examples of:
- An Aesop: It's easy in a bad situation to think only of the worst-case scenarios rather than stopping to think about how others, especially those closest to you, would actually react.
- Bedsheet Ladder: Apple Bloom runs away from home in this fashion after she was told the life-changing news about her parentage.
- BrotherSister Incest: Big Macintosh and Applejack turn out to be step-siblings, and they illegitimately foaled Apple Bloom.
- Continuity Nod: Twilight empathizes with Applejack, as she hows what it's like to see only the worst of what may come.
- Crash-Into Hello: This was how Applejack and Macintosh met.
- Didn't Think This Through: After finding out his daughter is pregnant, Redstreak calls out Applejack for not taking into consideration the amount of the hard work it takes to raise a foal, and what other ponies would think of the scandalous news of her and her brother having a foal together.
- Furry Reminder: Redstreak asks Applejack why she made love to Big Macintosh while she was "in heat", which is a term used to refer to the sexual excitement in female mammals that comes before ovulation.
- Happily Married: At the end, Applejack and Big Macintosh finally marry, and are raising Apple Bloom as their daughter, with another foal on the way.
- My Secret Pregnancy: When 16-year-old Applejack got into a relationship with her half-brother with Big Macintosh and got pregnant illegitimately, her parents decided to raise their forthcoming foal as their own to avoid potential scandal and scrutiny.
- Papa Wolf: Big Macintosh fights off a pack of vicious timberwolves to protect Apple Bloom.
- Playing Sick: To keep Applejack and Pink Pearl from being seen by other ponies during the former's pregnancy, but without arousing suspicion, the Apples fabricated a story that she contracted "pony pox", a disease that is nonlethal and whose only "cure" is waiting it out.
- Shipper on Deck: Granny Smith arranged for her son Redstreak and farmhand Pink Pearl to meet.
- Stress Vomit: Big Macintosh did this when he saw what had become of his parents after their fatal accident.