The Legacy of Hyrule is a The Legend of Zelda Fan Fic written by "Gabriel B." (formerly "Joe Moron 2000"). The story is, as of June 6th, 2010, fifteen chapters. It currently takes place during the The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time era.
The (actual, not the prologue) story begins three years after Ocarina of Time ends, with the Sages stuck in the Sacred Realm, going about their Sagely duties and not having any real contact with the outside world, due to the fact that they can't leave and nobody can enter. Which makes for a pretty nasty shock when someone does show up, and explains that they're all in danger, because Link is missing.
The Sages, led by the mysterious person, embark on a rescue mission, during which they realize that this man, Hyre, is rather more than he's letting on. A destiny unfolds that is bigger than any of them, and they're just the beginning.
This fanfic provides examples of
- Alphabetical Theme Naming - Introduced in chapter thirteen is the Ivrit Division of the Royal Hylian Army, where all of the soldiers are named after letters of the Hebrew Alphabet. "Ivrit" is a transliteration of the Hebrew word for "Hebrew" into English.
- Bag of Holding - Lampshaded in that the bag is explicitly called a "Bag of Holding"
- Borrowed Catchphrase - "Well excuse me, princess!" (Nabooru to Ruto)
- Continuation - The entire point of the fanfic.
- Continuity Nod - Impa mentioned Termina's Astral Observatory from Majora's Mask.
- Either/Or Prophecy - Chapter twelve has Nayru, the Oracle of Ages tell Impa and Hyre that they can either "die in the fight for their right to survive, or live in fear as that right is stripped away from them."
- Exact Eavesdropping - Liaku, in chapter ten, but he only heard part of it.
- Flashback - A number of chapters feature flashbacks in the past of the character around whom the chapter is focused.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming - Every chapter is called "The X of the X".
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown - In chapter ten, Link is revealed to be captured in Hyrule Castle, and gets thoroughly whomped by Arden in an effort to make him speak. While Princess Zelda, also captive, watches.
- No Name Given - "You may call me 'Hyre'." Usually wouldn't fit in this trope, were it not for the part where Farore says "Thats an odd coincidence, who would name you that?" which means that "Hyre" probably isn't his real name.
- Not Growing Up Sucks - Saria experiences this because everyone treats her as a kid because she looks like one, when she's actually 23.
- Original Character - Hyre is the main one, but there have been others; Liaku being the author's personal favourite.
- Power Glows - Azurewrath, though its glow disappeared when in contact with Lieutenant Aleph's arm.
- Rescue Arc - The basic plot of the first volume. Hell, it's even called "The Rescue of the Saviour".
- Shoutout - Hyre's sword, Azurewrath, is named after the sword used by Izual from Diablo.
- Take That! - In chapter fourteen, Mutoh mentions Link's "little annoying fairy", in reference to the fandom's mindset that Navi should stop helping him.
- What the Hell, Hero? - Saria calls Hyre out on this in chapter twelve, where Hyre basically uses his magical sword to torture one of the bad guys.
- You Wouldn't Believe Me If I Told You - Hyre catches on to the fact that Impa doesn't believe a thing he says pretty quickly. 'Course, it doesn't help that he's lied to them quite a bit.