Kingdom Hearts Linked Destinies is currently a single story -hoping to add a few sequels eventually- being written by troper Ace Flyheight focusing on OCs set in the universe of Kingdom Hearts. Linked Destinies tells the story of four teenagers struggles on Earth after the Heartless have decided to come for what they believed to be some of the universe's tastiest hearts residing on the small blue world.
The story itself though originated as nothing more than an experiment to help the author learn to better keep characters, well, IC. To achieve this aim, he sought out the help of three close friends and came up with an idea. You can never be 100% sure that you're keeping a canon character in-character because you can't physically ask them. So, he decided, a SI would be the perfect test or experiment to see if he could actually keep himself and his friends IC for an entire story. Unlike a fictional character like Sora, he would actually be able to show his friends the story and be able to ask them if he was able to keep their personalities, motives, etc., just like theirs were in the real world.
Currently a work in progress. This page and the characters page are always open to friendly editing for new tropes by any tropers who read or have read the story.
WARNING: The tropes section contains unmasked spoilers!
The fanfiction Kingdom Hearts: Linked Destinies, provides examples of:
- Action Survivor: The four main characters with each of them taking a level in badass eventually.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Any time that Dustin and Daniel are fighting together.
- Badass Normal: The four main characters: Dustin, Daniel, Krista, and Adam. Though considering what universe this story takes place in...
- Battle Amongst the Flames: Well, to be expected when one of the main bad guys is a fire elementalist.
- Bloodless Carnage: Averted so far.
- Darker and Edgier: At least compared to the source material.
- Everyone Went to School Together: The four survivors, and are still in school, as of the beginning and the end of the first story.
- Heartless Apocalypse: Not only sums up the entire story but also gives you an idea of the trouble that anyone still living is about to have to deal with.
- High-Pressure Blood: Strongly averted so far.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: Played straight and subverted with the four main characters. They know how to swing a bladed or blunt weapon or how to shoot a gun but most of the actual fighting that they do, they learned from different video games, films, etc.
- Left the Background Music On: Happens just about every chapter when you have a character with a car that has multiple CDs in the glove compartment with a working CD player to boot.
- Locked Out of the Fight: Subverted in that even though the majority of the 'boss' fights only involve one of the main characters at a time, the others are not physically barred from helping and only don't help because they've decided that it's time for that particular character to have some fun for once each time.
- The Magic Goes Away: What happens as a result of the ending.
- Ordinary High-School Student: All four survivors once again.
- Post-Climax Confrontation: The survivors have defeated the Order of Light and are about ready to go home but what's this...One more opponent? But why?
- Reset Button Ending: Pretty much the point of the entire journey, at least from the pov of the survivors.
- Self-Insert Fic: Not as much as someone would be led to believe. The story deals with the idea that the worlds of Kingdom Hearts are actually real and that Earth is one of them, the games themselves actually being 'biographies' of the lives and adventures of Sora and the rest of the canon cast.
- Shout-Out: Multiple ones to many different series.
- Song Fic: See above trope and then continue reading the rest of the entry.
- The Heartless: Well, it wouldn't be a Kingdom Hearts story without Heartless, now would it?
- Took a Level in Badass: All four of the main characters after the first waves of Heartless begin to appear on Earth.
- True Companions: All four of the main survivors.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Dustin and Daniel, naturally. Type 2 to boot.