Shannon Purser (born June 27, 1997 in Atlanta, Georgia) is an American actress and model and singer, typically cast as Hollywood Homely and dorky characters.
After doing small-time acting roles in her native Georgia, Purser auditioned for the role of the ill-fated Barb Holland in Stranger Things and due to the popularity of her character and fan outrage over her brutal demise, became an instant hit and was even nominated for an Emmy for her role. Taking her role seriously as a role model for her teenage audience, she is very vocal regarding issues like body image, self-harm and sexuality, even using herself and her history of body image issues, cutting, and coming out as bisexual.
- Stranger Things (2016-2017) as Barb Holland
- Wish Upon (2017) as June Acosta
- Riverdale (2017-present) as Ethel Muggs
- Sierra Burgess is a Loser (2018) as Sierra Burgess
- Rise (2018) as Annabelle Bowman
- Final Space (2018-present) as Shannon Thunder
- Room 104, "The Hikers" (2020) as Megan
This actress' works provide examples of:
- Actor-Shared Background: All of the pictures of Barb in the Stranger Things Season 2 premiere are actually from her childhood.
- Best Friend: A role that she often fulfills, it was in fact a role that catapulted her to stardom.
- Big Beautiful Woman: In real life she is very open about her history with body image struggles and takes pride in providing an image of women not often seen or respected in the media; she also does modeling and is known for her beauty and fashion sense.
- The Cast Show Off: As Ethel, Sierra, and Annabelle she has taken the chance to show she is as talented at singing as she is in acting.
- Fashionista: She is a very fashionable young woman who has experimented with different looks and has a good handle on using liquid eyeliner for a cat eye look.
- Redheads Are Uncool: As Barb, Ethel, and Sierra she portrayed young red haired women at the lower section of the high school social totem pole. However, her appeal due to portraying very complicated and relatable characters has made her defy this trope in real life.
- Youthful Freckles: She is a very pretty young woman, with lovely red hair and cute freckles who as of 2019, is in her early 20s and yet can still believably portray teenage characters.