Keneti James Fitzgerald "KJ" Apa (born 17 June 1997 in Auckland, New Zealand) is a New Zealander actor and singer. He has a Samoan father and European New Zealander mother.
Apa is best known for his lead role as Archie Andrews in Riverdale, The CW's reimagining of the Archie Comics mythos. He was cast after a worldwide four-month search, ultimately being selected to portray the iconic character in 2016.
Since being cast in Riverdale, Apa has begun appearing in more American-produced projects, which include A Dog's Purpose (as the younger version of Dennis Quaid's character), and the 2018 adaptation of Angie Thomas' young adult novel The Hate U Give.
- Shortland Street (2013 — 2015) as Kane Jenkins
- The Cul De Sac (2016) as Jack
- Riverdale (2017 — present) as Archie Andrews
- A Dog's Purpose (2017) as teenage Ethan Montgomery
- The Hate U Give (2018) as Chris
- The Last Summer (2019) as Griffin
- I Still Believe (2020) as Jeremy Camp
- Songbird (2020) as Nico Price
He provides examples of:
- Ambiguously Brown: Apa is half-Polynesian on his father's side, which many don't realize because of his star-making role as the (very, very classically white) Archie Andrews. It's much more apparent when he retains his natural dark hair and isn't caked in makeup for the role.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: He has this appearance during the off-seasons of Riverdale, when his dyed red hair fades and his skin tans a shade darker.
- Irony: His casting as the all-American archetype Archie Andrews, despite not being American himself.
- Mr. Fanservice / Walking Shirtless Scene: It seems like he goes shirtless on Riverdale at least Once an Episode.