Keneti James Fitzgerald "KJ" Apa (born 17 June 1997 in Auckland, New Zealand) is a New Zealander actor and singer.
Apa is best known for his lead role as Archie Andrews in Riverdale, The CW's reimagining of the Archie Comics mythos. He was cast after a worldwide four-month search, ultimately being selected to portray the iconic character in 2016.
Since being cast in Riverdale, Apa has begun appearing in more American-produced projects, which include A Dog's Purpose (as the younger version of Dennis Quaid's character), and the 2018 adaptation of Angie Thomas' young adult novel The Hate U Give.
- Shortland Street (2013 — 2015) as Kane Jenkins
- The Cul De Sac (2016) as Jack
- Riverdale (2017 — present) as Archie Andrews
- A Dog's Purpose (2017) as teenage Ethan Montgomery
- The Hate U Give (2018) as Chris
- The Last Summer (2019) as Griffin
- I Still Believe (2020) as Jeremy Camp
- Songbird (2020) as Nico Price
He provides examples of:
- Ambiguously Brown: Apa is half-Polynesian on his father's side, which many don't realize because of his star-making role as the (very, very classically white) Archie Andrews. It's much more apparent when he retains his natural dark hair and isn't caked in makeup for the role.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: He has this appearance during the off-seasons of Riverdale, when his dyed red hair fades and his skin tans a shade darker.
- Irony: His casting as the all-American archetype Archie Andrews, despite not being American himself.
- Mr. Fanservice / Walking Shirtless Scene: It seems like he goes shirtless on Riverdale at least Once an Episode.