Bagel Brain (AKA Kilroy Smythe Umbrick) is an anonymous writer, primarily one of bizzare or surreal fanfics.
His works so far include:
- Bambi's Dream (2018note ): A gentle, surrealistic story devoid of dialogue, centered on Bambi having a dream. Notably, this was actually the first of his three stories made, but it was deleted, and then revised and published in a new form as Bambi's Dream (Redux) in 2018.
- Garfield in: "Along Came a Splut" (AKA Garfield Has A Bad Day) (2013): A very bizarre Troll Fic starring Garfield and a large assortment of other characters, written by him in his early days. He now considers it to be an Old Shame and permanently deleted it from the internet.
- Creamed Cherries (2018) (AKA Steamed Hams but It Stars Bambi and Doesn't Actually Have Any Steamed Hams In It): A lighthearted retelling of the famous "Skinner and the Superintendent" Simpsons skit set in the universe of Bambi.
Tropes common to his works:
- Alliterative Name: Bagel Brain.
- Black Comedy: Very prominent to a mean spirited degree in Along Came A Splut (which was one of the reasons why he disowned the story). Creamed Cherries has a very brief throwaway moment of it at the start. Bambi's Dream is completely devoid of it.
- Early Installment Weirdness:
- The humor and surrealism in Along Came A Splut is 'far more aggressive and over the top than in his other two fanfics, which are much gentler in tone and humor. And unlike the other two, it was explicitly meant to be a Troll Fic.
- If one counts the fact that Bambi's Dream was written first, its notably different because it lacks the comedic undertones present in Along Came A Splut and Creamed Cherries.
- Either/Or Title: Both Along Came A Splut and Creamed Cherries have alternate titles.
- George Lucas Altered Version: Did this to his story ''Bambi's Dream", as he felt he could improve the now deleted 2010 draft considerably for republication.
- Lampshade Hanging: A very, very prominent source of humor in Along Came A Splut, somewhat present in Creamed Cherries, but downplayed in Bambi's Dream.
- Missing Episode:
- Along Came A Splut was permanently deleted, wasn't archived and the original document is long gone, and Bagel Brain refuses to remake it due to disliking the story now.
- The original 2010 version of Bambi's Dream'' was deleted, but unlike the above story, it was backed up on the internet archive and Bagel Brain claims to still have the document of it.
- Sequel Gap: There was a five year span between him writing Along Came A Splut and Creamed Cherries.
- Short Story: All of his stories are rather short in length.
- Silence Is Golden: Bambi's Dream has no spoken dialogue at all, and Along Came A Splut had only a handful of speaking lines. Averted in Creamed Cherries due to the dialogue heavy nature of its source material.
- Surrealism: Present in Along Came A Splut to absurd degrees. Bambi's Dream has this to a much smaller degree, and it's justified due to the bulk of it being set in a dream.