Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures (2021) is a Star Wars comic written by Daniel José Older as part of the The High Republic multimedia project, and a spin-off of IDW's Star Wars Adventures comic series.
Unlike the mainline Star Wars Adventurescomics, The High Republic Adventures has a singular narrative with only a few one-shot comics.
The Phase I run of The High Republic Adventures follows Lula Talisola, Farzala Tarabal, and Qort, a trio of Padawans under the supervision of Master Yoda who travel to Trymant IV — a planet that is an enclave for the Elders of the Path, a religious order that preaches distance from the Force — when the Great Disaster strikes. During that same mission, the Jedi also take in Zeen Mrala, a child born in the Elders' society who was forced to hide her Force-sensitivity out of fear of persecution.
After that mission, the Padawans engage in many more missions that cover Phase I.
This comic was also followed by a limited series, The Monster of Temple Peak.
A prequel series, The High Republic Adventures (2022) was announced for 2022, once again written by Daniel Jose Older, but now published by Dark Horse Comics after Lucasfilm's contract with IDW Publishing expired.
Tropes in this series include:
- Anti-Magical Faction: The Elders of the Path believe that sensing the Force, let alone using it, is bad and should never be done. As a result, Krix reacts badly when Zeen turns out to have been hiding her Force-sensitivity and he is easily manipulated into helping the Nihil against the Jedi and Zeen.
- Black-and-White Insanity: Krix accuses Zeen of having lied to him this whole time about being Force-sensitive and therefore is evil, as they were raised to believe being Force-sensitive is bad.
- Call-Back: The Nihil using Paths to navigate the Galaxy may be why they're interested in Tromak, a leader in the Elder of the Paths. This religious organization believes the Force must be observed from a distance but never used (and thus, being Force-sensitive is bad), and it's implied the Nihil's method of calculating Paths involves the Force (Mari has a special ability, implied to be Force-sensitivity).
- Cover-Blowing Superpower: Zeen is forced to reveal her Force-sensitivity to keep debris from falling on them, much to the surprise of the Jedi and the outrage of her friend Krix.
- A Day in the Limelight: Each arc focuses on one of the three main Padawans first is Lula, second is Farzala, and third is Qort.
- Everybody Has Standards: Tromak, one of the Elders, turns out to be in cahoots with the Nihil for an unknown reason and is leaving his people to die in the disaster, though he demands that the Nihil guarding him don't hurt Zeen and Krix because they're one of the children. When the situation escalates, he manages to take Krix with him in the chaos. However, it was apparently because he was trying to protect his people, hoping the Nihil would spare them if he gave the Nihil what they wanted.
- Something Only They Would Say: Yoda asks Zeen to give him Cham Cham so that he can show Krix that he can be trusted.
- Youth Is Wasted on the Dumb: Krix goes out of his way to help the Nihil because he's angry that Zeen lied to him about being Force-sensitive and he believes the Jedi and all Force-sensitives are evil, despite Yoda and Zeen showing otherwise.