Ultimate Reserve Course Student
The Protagonist. An unlucky guy who has always been bitter about the fact that while the academy's students get the option of slacking off and not doing anything just because they're talented, while people like him have to constantly work in order to maintain any chance of having a good life. He was an attendant of the reserve course, meaning he was directly paying the school to be there, though unlike his peers, Zetsu stood out from the pack due to having the best grades in the course's history. Due to this, he was given the chance to join the main academy, which he quickly accepted. However, upon his arrival to the school, he quickly realizes that was a mistake.
- Adorkable: His nervous behavior around Ashley, how quick he is to worry over little things, and his surprisingly nice behavior around his friends certainly makes him seem a little adorable.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Even among his fellow reserve course students, he apparently is quite a bit different, lacking the same sort of plain feeling they all have.
- Due to his status as a reserve course student among the talented, it's expected that he probably won't be too respected among them.
- Always Someone Better: Regardless of his rather massive intellect, it's inevitable that those with natural talent basically outclass him in nearly every way.
- Arch-Enemy: Veronica is incredibly nasty towards him, and he certainly isn't very kind back. It's heavily implied that the two have a bit of a negative history together.
- Ambition Is Evil: Less "evil" per say, but his ambitious personality is certainly not portrayed as a positive quality, considering how bitter he seems to be over working so hard but not getting too far.
- Ascended Fanboy: He's always wanted to attend Hope's Peak Academy, and now he's finally able to.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: He always wanted to attend Hope's Peak Academy...In the end, that probably wasn't a good thing.
- Best Friend: Yu is by far his closest friend from the reserve course, and it's heavily implied the two have known each other most of their lives.
- Born Unlucky: Things rarely go well for him, and the second things seem like they might turn around for him by getting into Hope's Peak Academy, the exact opposite happens.
- Brainy Brunette: He's apparently the smartest student in the history of the reserve course.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Word of God has confirmed that he has a crush on his close friend, Ashley. However, he seems to be incapable of actually telling her that, and considering him being taken into the Killing Game, he may not get the chance.
- Cool Loser: Despite his status as being a bit of an outcast among the reserve course students, he does seem to have pretty good relationships with some of the most notable students of it.
- Deadpan Snarker: Rather sarcastic and is prone to being especially deadpan around his friends.
- Freak Out!: Quickly begins jumping to conclusions and worrying his head off upon believing he might get expelled from the reserve course.
- The Generic Guy: He's part of the reserve course, and thus doesn't really stand out compared to the rest of his rather bizarre and unique looking classmates.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With his friend from the reserve course, Yu.
- Hypocrite: Is incredibly bitter towards the student of Hope's Peak Academy, and yet he's more than willing to become a student there himself.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Desperately wishes he was more than just a reserve course student. In the end, he gets exactly what he wanted, only to soon regret it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite his calm personality, he's actually pretty rude towards others and has a notably cynical mindset. However, he is still a Nice Guy towards his friends, and willingly decides to help out his friend, Ashley, by finding her brother in Hope's Peak.
- Lonely at the Top: He may have finally made it into the school he's always wanted to get into, but that doesn't change the fact he's also essentially abandoning all of his friends from the reserve course in the process.
- Ordinary High-School Student: He's from the reserve course, and doesn't really have anything particularly special about him.
- Only Sane Man: Due to the fact he lacks any kind of real talent, he's far more grounded in reality than his new classmates.
- The Protagonist: The main character of the series, and the primary POV student across most chapters.
- Ridiculously Average Guy: Doesn't have anything particularly special about him beyond his rather ridiculous IQ.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: His school uniform resembles that of a modern-day business suit worn by those attending an office job.
- Ship Tease: With Ashley. The two have been friends for a good portion of their lives, and he promises her that he'll go out of his way to find her brother and give him a message from her. In response, she embraces him in a hug.
- Straight Man: The most normal member of the cast, and thus ends up acting as the mediator to most of his classmates' insanity.
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky: He's over six feet tall, has dark grey hair, and is one of the most sarcastic characters in the series.
- Technicolor Eyes: His eyes have a bit of a red tint in them, though it's only really noticeable in the sunlight.
- Teen Genius: The smartest student in the history of the reserve course in fact, and has apparently maintained perfect grades throughout his entire school career.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Ashley basically tells him this word for word when he starts expressing doubt on whether he's cut out for Hope's Peak Academy at all.
Outside of the Killing Game
The Ghost...At the moment at least. Ashley's younger twin brother who is currently attending Hope's Peak Academy, but has mysteriously cut all ties with her and hasn't contacted his family in a long time. Upon Zetsu getting into the school, Ashley entrusts Zetsu with finding him and giving him something for her.
- The Ghost: He hasn't been seen officially yet.