One Piece 3D: Straw Hat Chase is the eleventh film in the long runnning anime and manga series, though many fans consider it more of a special than a film as it returned to the Short Film format (30 minutes) and was paired with a Toriko film in the summer of 2011. Regardless, it is the first One Piece film to be made entirely in CGI.
The film begins with a old pirate, Schneider, and his dog, Buzz, walking the streets one night. Schneider has been coughing up blood lately and takes it as an indication the he's dying. He tries to part with Buzz, not wanting his old friend to see him die, but Buzz will not be shaken off easily.
Out on the seas, the Straw Hats are going about their journey when Luffy finds that his prized straw hat is missing, sending him into a frantic search around the ship. Unable to find it the crew assumed it fell into the ocean and search individually for it with the Soldier Dock System. Ussop and Chopper happen upon Schneider's ship, finding the weakened pirate onboard. As they take him back to the Sunny Go to get healed, an eagle lands on the ship with Luffy's hat in its mouth. Needless to say, once Luffy finds out he goes on the warpath to get it back, chasing the eagle through various landscapes and obstacles. But why does the eagle want the hat in first place and what does Schneider have to do with this?
Although it hasn't been dubbed, the film received a North American theatrical release in 2021 alongside a limited re-release of One Piece Film: Strong World (under the name "Mugiwara Chase").note
One Piece 3D: Straw Hat Chase has the following tropes:
- All-CGI Cartoon: Movie, but whatever. It has some pretty amazing tracking shots, too.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The climax sees the Straw Hats against three Marine giants.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: Or rather "Break his heart so he doesn't watch me die," which is what Schneider tries to do with Buzz.
- The Faceless: The Marine Giants all wear helmets over their faces.
- Kick the Dog: The Marine Captain that captures Luffy and Buzz does this by holding Luffy's straw hat by the barrel of his gun and then shooting it to just to mock Luffy.
- Mistaken for Dying: What Schneider thought of himself when he started coughing up blood. Turns out he had a fork lodged in his stomach he accidentally ate that was poking his insides. He unknowingly coughs it up in the middle of the movie which Chopper finds shortly after.
- No Name Given: The Marine Captain.
- The Reveal: Buzz is of course the eagle in question having eaten a eagle zoan model Devil Fruit.
- Short Film: A runtime of a mere 30 minutes, meaning it's not much longer than a regular episode of One Piece.
- Ska: Also known for being the first movie that doesn't use the orchestral score, rather a Ska band was hired to preform the music. If it fits with the movie or not is up to the viewers.
- Snipe Hunt: Schneider had told Buzz he can stay with him if he can steal the hat of Straw Hat Luffy, thinking it'll be an impossible task. Buzz pretty much proves him wrong.
- The Stinger: After the credits, it cuts to a picture of when Luffy received his hat from Shanks, along with the familiar dialogue of what the red haired man said that fateful day.
- The Unfought: The Marine Captain, though Luffy pays him back for the Kick the Dog moment above by knocking a giant near the platform he's on. The pieces of mace the giant was holding shatter and crush the captain as he's trying to run.