07:48:29 PM Aug 27th 2013
Okay, here's a list of tropes I wonder if we should even have here:
- Bros Before Hoes: Men are more reliable friends, so looking out for each other is paramount.
- Disappeared Dad: Dad is never around. He's either dead or has better things to do (in his opinion).
- Daddy Had a Good Reason for Abandoning You: Dad has better things to do than raise a child.
- Glorified Sperm Donor: He hit it, quit it, now mom's stuck with it.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: An important character is another important character's dad.
- Luke, I Might Be Your Father: Or maybe not.
- Luke, You Are My Father: Or maybe the child knows first.
- Tell Me About My Father: Children want to know more about the Disappeared Dad.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: Dad's gone, and the kids would just like to know when he'll be back.
- Heir Club for Men: Boys are the only worthy heirs. Girls don't count, and are often expendable.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: He's grounded, but boring. She's flighty, whimsical and Closer to Earth and is on a mission to spice up his life.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: A man is the more resilient and stoic partner; the woman is energetic and flighty.
- Parenting the Husband: A woman struggles to keep after her child-like husband.
- Tim Taylor Technology: A domesticated man thinks power is the solution to everything.
- Women Are Wiser: Men are merely blunt instruments, while women do all the thinking.
- Men Are Generic, Women Are Special: A man in a fictional role needs some other trait to prove himself worthy of being in that role in some way. For women, merely being female itself is treated as special.
- Mother Nature, Father Science: Nature is thought of as maternal and emotional, while science is thought of as paternal and cold.
- Decoy Damsel: A woman pretends to be a Damsel in Distress to trap the hero.
- Supernatural-Proof Father: Contrast the Haunted Heroine. In a Haunted House setting, the father is usually the most "stable", skeptical, and rational member of the family—to the point of blatantly ignoring the supernatural events around him.
- There Are No Girls on the Internet: Because of the wild, savage and blunt nature of the internet, women are thought to be a rarity.
- The Unfair Sex: Exceptions are made for women, under the assumption that it's safer or more fair for them, that wouldn't be made for men.