Unclear Definition (new crowner 9/18): Planet Eris get usage counts
Deadlock Clock: 10th Dec 2012 11:59:00 PM
edited 16th Mar '12 9:37:49 PM by Twentington
edited 16th Mar '12 10:27:39 PM by abk0100
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: Fantastic beings from a number of different traditions coexist in the setting. Their presence in the story is, to some extent, planned from the start by the author, and there's some sort of explanation for why they all exist. Otherwise, the setting itself may be as much like or unlike modern Real Life Earth as the author pleases.
- Planet Eris: The story ostensibly takes place in modern Earth, but is spiced up with any number of speculative fiction creatures and tropes. Explanations for why these elements coexist will basically boil down to Rule of Funny or Rule of Cool. Usually, they're introduced haphazardly and demonstrate that the author is making stuff up as they go.
edited 17th Mar '12 3:29:42 AM by Feather7603
Wick check (30)
Looks fine (10)
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl
- Sluggy Freelance
- Mystery Science Theatre 3000
- The FAN
- Gear Saints
- Dancing Pants
- Ben 10
- Danger Five
Looks misused (11)
- Malazan Book of the Fallen
- Minus: Reality Warper
- Ninja High School
- Onmyodo: Terrible Fantasy Kitchen Sink misuse.
- Mega Ten: In no way. It's a Fantasy Kitchen Sink all the way.
- Human Aliens
- El Goonish Shive: Disregarding the laws of physics is not this trope.
- John Dies at the End: Doesn't look like comedic use
- Las Paridas De La Guarida: Crossover
- David Gonterman
No context (8)
- Scary Go Round
- The Young Ones
- Dragon Fable
- Hunter: The Vigil
- Demon Planet
- Bob and George
- Bloody Urban
Not really liking what I'm seeing, but I don't think the name is at fault. This trope has an unclear description, and too little distinction from Fantasy Kitchen Sink. Along with Fantasy Kitchen Sink, there's also Monster Mash to consider when examining this trope.
edited 17th Mar '12 5:02:40 AM by lu127
- All Myths Are True: This is about all in-universe myths being true. It has nothing to do with the other tropes. However, Fantasy Kitchen Sink starts by describing itself like All Myths Are True but Up to Eleven, which is false. The exception is any setting that are Like Reality Unless Noted, we do have all real life myths in-universe as well.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: This is where all real world myths are true, no matter how they're perceived in-universe.
- Monster Mash: This essentially Fantasy Kitchen Sink, but with monsters, and also includes pop culture monsters, which Fantasy Kitchen Sink doesn't.
- Planet Eris: This is All Fiction Is True. That includes Fantasy Kitchen Sink, Monster Mash, and all combinations. Despite and aside from this, the world is just like our own.
edited 17th Mar '12 2:39:21 PM by Feather7603
edited 17th Mar '12 3:05:23 PM by Treblain
edited 17th Mar '12 2:30:51 PM by rodneyAnonymous
Huck: What's your name? The Mysterious Stranger: Satan.
edited 17th Mar '12 2:31:27 PM by SeptimusHeap
edited 17th Mar '12 2:37:52 PM by Feather7603
Alternative Titles: Planet Eris 2
12th Dec '12 2:13:11 PM