YMMV: The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Did the Siamese twins cave during the "baby hunt," or did they see Spongebob and Patrick about to sing the Goofy Goober theme song and take the fall for them?
- Anti-Climax Boss: Subverted. Dennis is built up as a major threat but crushed by the Cyclops moments after he finally catches up with the heroes before he can do much to them... Then he comes back and the actual fight with him takes place.
- Awesome Art: While the show was already know for it's Deranged Animation and use of mixed media, the movie really uses the advantage of a bigger budget to make the animation much more fluid and have live-action blend far better than the TV show ever did. The end result is easily the best-looking Nickelodeon TV show-based movie ever!
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Dennis.
- Good Bad Bugs: In the final boss of the Video Game, a broken plank on the floor behind Krabs leaves you safe from Neptune's attacks.
- He Really Can Act: SpongeBob is known for being goofy and immature, but in this movie, Tom Kenny does an outstanding job at making the audience cry. Especially during the gift shop scene.
- Not to mention that brief Heroic BSOD at the edge of the trench, where SpongeBob realizes how immature he is for his age. Hearing the guy sound so panicked and frustrated with himself is quite a shock.
- Ho Yay: Spongebob and Patrick, of course. One notable example would be when Spongebob imagines Patrick having long, woman legs with fishnets during his singing of "Goofy Goober Rock." Spongebob even gets all wide eyed and excited when Patrick does the splits with said legs.
- Magnificent Bastard: Plankton finally becomes this, as he succeeds in an Evil Plan for perhaps the first time ever.
Plankton: "Plan Z. I love Plan Z!"
- Possibly the best example would be Plankton successfully framing Mr. Krabs for stealing the crown, with a simple phone call. But what really makes it it Plankton smirking, listening to Neptune scream.
- Magnum Opus: If "Band Geeks" was the peek of the series' greatness, this movie is this for Spongebob as a whole.
- Memetic Mutation: Surprised Patrick◊, from his reaction following Always a Bigger Fish. Pretty odd, considering the fact that the movie came out over ten years ago and has only recently become a meme - and the fact that SpongeBob was there pulling the exact same expression, yet he does NOT have the same Memetic status as Patrick (a fact that is lampshaded in this image◊).
- Moral Event Horizon: Plankton definitely crosses this when he steals Neptune's crown, frames Mr. Krabs for it (knowing very well that he'll be executed), brainwashing and enslaving Bikini Bottom and hiring Dennis to kill SpongeBob and Patrick. He takes it even further at the climax when he brainwashes King Neptune to not only kill SpongeBob and Patrick, but also kill Mindy, his own daughter.
- Purity Sue: Princess Mindy, arguably due to her Flat Character status mentioned above.
- Shocking Swerve: Spongebob suddenly having the ability to turn into a rock warrior/wizard at the climax of the film. Nonetheless, it's still awesome to watch.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: Between the beautifully deranged animation, great use of the Roger Rabbit Effect, and other special effects, this is one great looking movie.
- What Do You Mean, It's for Kids?: SpongeBob and Patrick get drunk off of ice cream, and wake up with hangovers.
- Mind-controlled slaves, a few deaths, and a violent hitman.