Thomas James "Tom" Kenny (born July 13, 1962) is an American voice actor and comedian perhaps best known for his work in the animated series Sponge Bob Square Pants
, in which he is the voice of SpongeBob among others. Aside from voice acting, Kenny starred in the short-lived Fox sketch show, The Edge
and was a cast member of the HBO sketch comedy program, Mr. Show
, where he worked with Jill Talley, whom he subsequently married. He also hosted the show Funday Night at the Movies
on TCM in 2007, which encouraged kids to watch "old movies".
Kenny voices many characters in many productions, and in his own words "a lot of sweet, kind of stupid yellow characters for some reason" (which would explain Heffer and SpongeBob).
Kenny played his first set of voice actor roles for Rocko's Modern Life
. Joe Murray auditioned Kenny for voice acting roles for the series in a large casting call in Los Angeles, California, United States. On one occasion during the production, the producers required Kenny to fill the role of Charlie Adler
, who was absent on that occasion. In addition, Kenny had to perform one song and learn how to play another song within ten minutes due to time constraints. Kenny achieved this goal. He said that this helped him believe that he could stand "toe to toe" with other voice actors.
Joe Murray chose Kenny for a voice acting position in Camp Lazlo
because Murray, after seeing Kenny's previous work for Rocko's Modern Life
, felt that Kenny "adds writing to his roles" and "brings so much".
He's been the announcer for Nickelodeon's annual Kids' Choice Awards for years; at the 2007 show he called himself the "Man of 1,000 Voices, all of them this one." He was featured as the Voice in a Box at the 2008 show, and at the 2009 show he claimed to be the only announcer who does all of his own stunts.
He and his wife, Jill Talley, played the couple in the music video for The Smashing Pumpkins
' "Tonight Tonight".
Aside from Spongebob, his most famous current role is that of The Ice King from Cartoon Network's Adventure Time.
Some of Tom Kenny's most notable roles include:
- Spongebob, Gary, the Narrator, Patchy the Pirate, and others in Sponge Bob Square Pants.
- Several background characters and Fry's brother Yancy in Futurama. "What kind of troper turns down a free blast of searing hot resin?"
- Heffer Wolfe in Rocko's Modern Life.
- Dog in CatDog.
- Plastic Man in Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
- He also played the role in an unaired Plastic Man pilot that can be found online.
- The Mayor, the Narrator, and others in The Powerpuff Girls.
- Mr. Hal Gibson in Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go.
- Isaac Sumdac, Wasp, Starscream, and his clones in Transformers Animated.
- Skids and Wheelie in Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen (Many of his lines were improvised).
- Muhannad Sabeeh "Happy" Fa-ach Nuabar in Sit Down, Shut Up.
- Dr. Two Brains in WordGirl.
- The Ice King in Adventure Time.
- Iron Man, Captain America and M.O.D.O.K. in The Super Hero Squad Show.
- Eduardo in Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
- Jake Spidermonkey in My Gym Partners A Monkey.
- Tux in Out of Jimmy's Head
- Scoutmaster Lumpus and Slinkman in Camp Lazlo.
- Cupid in The Fairly OddParents.
- The Penguin in The Batman.
- Knightbrace in Codename: Kids Next Door.
- Leon in Squirrel Boy.
- Mr. Lopart and Pat in Handy Manny.
- Raimundo Pedrosa, Grandmaster Dashi, and Hannibal Roy Bean in Xiaolin Showdown.
- Ed in Brandy & Mr. Whiskers.
- Carl Chryniszzswics in Johnny Bravo.
- Valhallen and many other voices in Dexter's Laboratory.
- Wally Langford in Mission Hill.
- Spyro and several NPCs in early Spyro the Dragon games, Ripto's Rage! and Year of the Dragon.
- Benjamin Bright in IGPX Immortal Grand Prix.
- Griff in Rave Master
- Kevin and Special Agent 14 in Stripperella
- Otto in The Haunted World of El Superbeasto
- Mr. Lee and Spydah in Alpha Teens on Machines
- Brick Jackson in Sym-Bionic Titan
- Rabbit in the 2011 Winnie the Pooh movie.
- Nute Gunray, Detective Tan Divo and Greedo in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- Zillius Zox, Salaak, Byth Rok and the Anti-Monitor in Green Lantern: The Animated Series.
- Doctor Octopus in the Ultimate Spider-Man TV series.
- Himself in I Know That Voice.
- Crunchy in Dan VS.
- Woody Johnson in Brickleberry
- Commander Peepers in Wander over Yonder
- A Temp. Agent and a ladybug in Bee and Puppycat.
- Sumo in Clarence
- Bullwinkle in an upcoming Rocky and Bullwinkle short from Dreamworks Animation
- Flain, Seismo, and Teslo in Mixels
Tropes Associated With Tom Kenny:
! Do you know who Tom Kenny is?I know who Tom Kenny is. A BIG NERD!