Creator / Tom Kenny
Thomas James "Tom" Kenny (born July 13, 1962) is an American voice actor and comedian perhaps best known for his work in the animated series SpongeBob SquarePants
, in which he is the voice of SpongeBob among others. Aside from voice acting, Kenny starred in the short-lived Fox sketch show, The Edge
and was a cast member of the HBO sketch comedy program, Mr. Show
, where he worked with Jill Talley, whom he subsequently married. He also hosted the show Funday Night at the Movies
on TCM in 2007, which encouraged kids to watch "old movies".
Kenny voices many characters in many productions, and in his own words "a lot of sweet, kind of stupid yellow characters for some reason" (which would explain Heffer, Dog, and SpongeBob). When he doesn't play those, Kenny usually plays comically serious, authoritative types (usually doctors, businessmen, and game show hosts).
Kenny played his first set of voice actor roles for Rocko's Modern Life
. Joe Murray auditioned Kenny for voice acting roles for the series in a large casting call in Los Angeles, California, United States. On one occasion during the production, the producers required Kenny to fill the role of Charlie Adler
, who was absent on that occasion. In addition, Kenny had to perform one song and learn how to play another song within ten minutes due to time constraints. Kenny achieved this goal. He said that this helped him believe that he could stand "toe to toe" with other voice actors.
Joe Murray chose Kenny for a voice acting position in Camp Lazlo
because Murray, after seeing Kenny's previous work for Rocko's Modern Life
, felt that Kenny "adds writing to his roles" and "brings so much".
He's been the announcer for Nickelodeon's annual Kids' Choice Awards for years; at the 2007 show he called himself the "Man of 1,000 Voices, all of them this one." He was featured as the Voice in a Box at the 2008 show, and at the 2009 show he claimed to be the only announcer who does all of his own stunts.
He and his wife, Jill Talley, played the couple in the music video for The Smashing Pumpkins
' "Tonight Tonight".
Aside from SpongeBob, his most famous current role is that of The Ice King from Cartoon Network's Adventure Time
Notable roles by Tom Kenny include:
Live Action TV
- Various roles in Mr. Show.
- Tux in Out of Jimmy's Head
- Uncle Howee, a loud, energetic kids' show host with a rabbit sidekick named Loomis (whom Kenny also voiced) and possible reality-warping powers, on the Haunting Hour episode "Uncle Howee".
- Asok and Ratbert in the Dilbert cartoon
- Brick Jackson in Sym-Bionic Titan
- Bullwinkle in an upcoming Rocky and Bullwinkle short from Dreamworks Animation
- Buzz Harris in As Told by Ginger
- Carl Chryniszzswics in Johnny Bravo
- Crunchy in Dan VS
- Cupid in The Fairly OddParents!
- Dog and Cliff in CatDog
- Ed in Brandy & Mr. Whiskers
- Eduardo in Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
- Eddie from Class of 3000
- Flain, Seismo, Teslo, Berp, Tungster, Booger, Screeno, Mysto, and Blip in Mixels
- Guapo Flub in The Brothers Flub
- Mr. Hal Gibson in Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go
- Harry in Stanley
- Heffer Wolfe (and assorted others) in Rocko's Modern Life
- The Ice King in Adventure Time
- Iron Man, Captain America, and M.O.D.O.K. in The Super Hero Squad Show
- Isaac Sumdac, Wasp, Starscream, and his clones in Transformers Animated
- Jake Spidermonkey, Henry Armadillo, and others in My Gym Partner's a Monkey
- Kevin and Special Agent 14 in Stripperella
- Knightbrace in Codename: Kids Next Door
- Mr. Lee and Spydah in Alpha Teens on Machines
- Leon in Squirrel Boy
- Mr. Lopart and Pat in Handy Manny
- Scoutmaster Lumpus and Slinkman in Camp Lazlo (He's cited the latter as his favourite role)
- Mandok in Niko and the Sword of Light
- The Mayor, the Narrator, and others in The Powerpuff Girls
- Muhannad Sabeeh "Happy" Fa-ach Nuabar in Sit Down, Shut Up
- N.I.G.E.L. in Godzilla: The Series
- Nute Gunray, Detective Tan Divo, and Greedo in Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- Doctor Octopus in the Ultimate Spider-Man TV series
- Otto in The Haunted World of El Superbeasto
- Commander Peepers in Wander over Yonder
- The Penguin in The Batman
- Plastic Man in Batman: The Brave and the Bold
- He also played the role in an unaired Plastic Man pilot that can be found online.
- Raimundo Pedrosa, Grandmaster Dashi, and Hannibal Roy Bean in Xiaolin Showdown
- SpongeBob, Gary, the Narrator, Patchy the Pirate, and others in SpongeBob SquarePants
- Sumo in Clarence
- Dr. Two Brains in WordGirl
- Valhallen and many other voices in Dexter's Laboratory
- Wally Langford in Mission Hill
- Wayne Cramp in The Cramp Twins
- Woody Johnson in Brickleberry
- Fry's brother Yancy and several background characters in Futurama
- Zillius Zox, Salaak, Byth Rok and the Anti-Monitor in Green Lantern: The Animated Series
- Fixit and The Amazing Mumbo from Teen Titans
Tropes associated with Tom Kenny:
- Adorkable: In pretty much any interview.
- Case in point, Erin Fitzgerald told the the story of how he got his autograph because she was a fan of his work on Spongebob, and how he got her autograph because his son was a fan of Ed Eddn Eddy. here's a link.
- The Cameo: Appeared along with wife, Jill Talley in the movie Sky High (2005).
- Childhood Friends: With Bobcat Goldthwait.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Frequently plays these.
- Disney Owns This Trope: Nickelodeon currently owns the rights to his Spongebob voice, meaning he's not allowed to use it for any other role.
- Happily Married: With fellow voice actress, Jill Talley.
- Keet: Is very energetic.
- Large Ham: The characters he voices are inclined to to be theatrically comedic in an over-the-top manner. The delivery of Tom's voice reinforces this.
- Man of a Thousand Voices:
- According to his interview with Marc Maron, the origin of his most famous voice, Spongebob, was a ticked off, swearing little person who was auditioning for an elf in a Christmas commercial. And apparently Nickelodeon does not like him telling that story.
- Nice Guy: Unlike many of his characters, Tom is a genuinely friendly individual.
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: Once discussed on a podcast how he was mistakenly reported dead, and how he thinks that something like that is more likely to happen to someone like him, who's relatively well known but not super well known like someone like George Clooney, so it takes longer to debunk.