is a animated sketch comedy series that airs on Comedy Central
No real theme to the show other then animated shorts in different styles that, par for the course of the network, either deal with satire, Black Comedy
, Gross Humor
and generally Crossing the Line Twice
. Think South Park
crossed with the recent televised version of MAD
and you pretty much get the gist of it.
TripTank' has the following tropes:
- Art Shift: Made from different animators, so this is a given.
- Animesque: Flower Teen Kill Team Go has this style as it focuses on teenage Japanese assassins.
- Attention Whore: Suicidal Attention Whore Chicken
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Dick Genie sketches (about a boy who has a genie living in his penis...yes really) revolve around this. For example, the boy wishes he had the power to see and hear breasts underneath any female he wants. He gets his wish—then his mother shows up to deliver his lunch he forgot. You can see where this is going.
- Black Comedy: All over the place, nearly all the sketches deal with it in some form or another.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The Suck It Gary sketches usually revolve around three friends who play practical jokes on a guy named Gary because...they just plain don't like him. The shorts always end with them forgetting something and they end up blaming Gary for it.
- Driven to Suicide: One sketch (written by The Perry Bible Fellowship creator, Nicholas Gurewitch) dealt with a corporation whose stock rises when a certain employee gets injured. They corporates then set about ruining the man's life until he ultimately kills himself. Don't worry though, karma kicks in as their stock plummets as soon as the man dies. And then the head of said corporation gets a paper cut and the stock increases slightly. Here We Go Again.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Happens in the fifth Jeff and Some Aliens sketch
- Karma Houdini: The Suicidal Attention Whore Chicken so far has always gotten what he wants and always blows off whomever he's trying to upstage once he gets it.
- Gorn: Yes this pops up too. Again, airing on Comedy Central here.
- Grossout Show / Toilet Humor: Farting jokes, check. Jokes about cumming and unnatural sex, check. Feces and Pooping, check. Vomiting, check.
- Infant Immortality: Subverted hard
- Never My Fault: The titular character of the Bethiffer sketches does this constantly. Blaming others for her rudeness or her stature.
- Reality Ensues: A few cases, a cartoon fox manages to kill a rabbit but it's not quite dead and he finds himself sickened in having to eat it. And a cartoon rocket tries to take some kids to the moon for some fun, but forgets space doesn't have any oxygen.
- Sketch Comedy
- Self-Deprecation: A recurring sketch is in-universe viewers calling in to the Trip Tank studios and a majority of them complaining about the sketches and how they suck.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: The second sketch of Versus has this as a little league soccer team slaughters the Mongolians amongst happy music.
- The Stoner: The "4:20" sketches revolve around an odd three-eyed hippie offering about marijuana at..well, 4:20.
- Subverted Kids Show: A few sketches have a cutesy backdrop and then delves into some dark territory very fast.