is a webcomic
by Brooke McEldowney, creator of Nine Chickweed Lane
and is more or less a spin-off of the earlier strip. It follows the life of the eponymous fairy as she reacts to demigods who act like petty bureaucrats, her rival Drusilla the succubus, blustering loon Thorax, demonic game show hosts, idiotic robots and angels of death who act like bike couriers. It allows McEldowney more latitude to use large words and engage in the Double Entendre
and good girl art that is his forte. Unlike 9 Chickweed Lane
is highly sexualized, and frequently features nudity, violence, and gratuitous sexual liaisons involving the main cast.
This comic provides examples of:
- All Women Are Lustful: Since most of the early strips were dedicated to seeing which of the two female leads would get the right to service Author Avatar Geoff, it's sort of easy to see that the author is marching merrily on with the same theme he propounded in the parent strip. Indeed, virtually every single female character introduced invariably beds an Author Avatar of some variety or another. Frequent motifs include BDSM, demon mind-rape, and sight gags involving nudity of the titular character.
- Alt Text / Author Tract / Wall of Text: The "commentary"◊ added into a rerun arc, apparently triggered after The Other Wiki told him he couldn't edit pages on his own work (he didn't like that someone described a scene as "the sexualization of music" but that's precisely what's going on: in the next scene Geoff tells Dru that he gets the impression she's pimping the music and in the commentary Brooke admits that Dru can't not do anything in a supernaturally sexy manner, not to mention all those other scenes of passionate piano playing). Let it also be known that in refute of his argument against the "fetish fuel" theory, that Drusilla employs hip grinds and pelvic thrusts as part of her "performance" during her concerto.
- Antiheroine: Drusilla the succubus.
- Author Appeal: Even worse than 9 Chickweed Lane, if such a thing can be imagined. Every manner of bizarre, disturbing fetish turns up in Pibgorn.
- Author Avatar:
- Geoff from Pibgorn is a nerdy musician as well.
- Even the "troll" in the current "genies" story who's supposed to represent those nasty internet people brings in the Author Appeal since he's the one who turns Satori into Jeannie from "I Dream of Jeannie".
- Back from the Dead: Pib and Dru have been killed so many times in this comic, you can make a drinking game of it.
- Cold Opening: How most arcs of Pibgorn begin (at least the ones I've read); the latest one about aliens accidentally targeting a vampire/rapist was particularly incomprehensible. The current one with a disgruntled genie is even worse, seeing as we've never met said genie before nor his sarcastic mermaid "friend", and because we don't know the mechanics of their universe we don't know why the mermaid hopes the genie gets sucked into a wormhole.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Pibgorn the fairy is mottled green over a human flesh tone; Drusilla the succubus is red and black; Drusilla's "daughter" is blue...
- Deadpan Snarker: Drucilla, lately Pibgorn, and especially the disdainful Grim Reaper Mildred.
- Deal with the Devil: A guy who hated Drusilla around the Elizabethan Era made such a deal in order to torture her and the playwright she was in love with (I think) due to her being the playwright's muse. In fact, the villain in that sequence was a demon passing as human who aspired to be a great playwright, and was stealing Shakespeare's play from his mind as they were being written. Drusilla revealed his thefts, after which he concocted his scheme to have revenge on her.
- Defanged Horrors: What Drusilla did to the vampire rapist.
- Early Installment Weirdness: In Drusilla's first story arc, Pibgorn rallies some friendly beasts to scare her away — and she looks genuinely frightened. Granted, this is before the readers learn she isn't human.
- Grim Reaper: "My name's Mildred. I'm death."
- Half-Human Hybrid: The king of the fairies has a humanoid upper body and a kangaroo-rat-esque lower body. Drucilla and her human subject's "daughter".
- Redheaded Heroine / Fiery Redhead: Pibgorn.
- Red Right Hand: Dru's forked ears are the only part of her that cannot change, which marks her as a succubus. Also her red eyes.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Cornelia is actually an alien android modeled on Pib sent to gather human sperm for some reason. Unfortunately vampire sperm is "dead seed" so the aliens decide to kindly Mercy Kill humanity.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Apparently the common cold is/was an army of baby demons just waiting for "an incredibly stupid succubus" to mistakenly set them off.
- She's Got Legs: Everyone except the hair fairy, and who'd want to see hairy gams anyway.
- Shout-Out: Death/Mildred looks like Louise Brooks. The genie looks like genie-Jafar but a really unappealing yellow; his mermaid "friend" looks like Ariel but topless and snarky.
- Triang Relations: Pibgorn, Geoff, and Drusilla (to Dru's credit she was there first).
- Videogame Cruelty Potential / Cruel Player-Character God: The "troll" (as in an antagonistic human) who tortures videogame character Satori by killing her over and over (it's possible Satori is his character since she's from an MMORPG). Satori gets her revenge when the yellow genie is so attracted to her that he brings her into the real world. She rewards him by slicing him and the troll into ribbons; unfortunately the troll was the one who "summoned" the genie with his energy drink can and, after being revived, forces the genie to make Satori into a "Jeannie".
- Who Wants to Live Forever?/I Just Want to Be Normal: A mysterious young woman who has been trying to kill herself for centuries is actually the daughter of Drusilla and a human man she was inspiring circa the Elizabethan Era, artificially created just to torture Dru.
- Whole Plot Reference: Pibgorn's slightly Gender Flipped take on A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- Artistic License - Biology:
- BUMBLEBEES DO NOT HUMP LEGS!
- Dicks don't work that way, even with robotic enhancement! And just how do you turbocharge a vagina anyway?