"I want to kill the person I used to be."Phoenix Flair is a webcomic by d. Marie Licea, hosted on Tumblr. It follows the life of Anala Karpe, a former Avazon who, for as-yet unexplained reasons, despises her past self and the Avazon organization.Anala is currently trying to lead a somewhat-normal life as a high-schooler, but is perpetually pestered by Couriers - essentially recruiters for the Avazons - to join up with them. Although it's implied that Anala is already an Avazon (or possibly ex-Avazon) under the pseudonym Phoenix Flair, no one seems to be aware of this, not even the Couriers themselves. Between the Couriers and her daily life, Anala is at wit's end - and to make matters worse, she feels obligated to try and dissuade other young girls from becoming Avazons themselves - a task that's easier said than done.
Phoenix Flair contains examples of:
- All-Loving Heroine: Lily Belrose really, really wants to help people.
- A Twinkle in the Sky: Farewell, Sirius.
- Arc Words: "I want to kill the person I used to be."
- Being Good Sucks: At least according to Anala, being an Avazon is a grueling ordeal, with few rewards and plenty of injuries to look forward to... and in addition to that, an Avazon is unlikely to have more of an impact than they would by participating in any other kind of benevolent volunteer work.
- Berserk Button: Two notable instances so far; mentioning Phoenix Flair around Anala got a courier punted over the horizon, while Isabella does not take kindly to people insulting her friend Lily.
- Emotion Eater: "Miasmal", the entities the Avazons are charged with hunting down, feed off the negative emotions of humans. Most people can't perceive them, but according to Anala they're not actually a huge threat.
- Huge Schoolgirl: Anala utterly towers over even her male classmates.
- Insistent Terminology: At least one of the Couriers has a tendency to correct anyone who calls an Avazon a Magical Girl.
- Magical Girl: The 'Avazons' are an organization of bird-themed Magical Girls.
- Playing with Fire: Anala is implied to have retained some form of fire-based powers from her time as Phoenix Flair. During a moment of intense anger, the candles near her start to burn extra-brightly.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: After finding out Lily and Isabella have already agreed to be an Avazon, Anala lays in to them (Mostly Lily) with one only for Isabella to cut her off with one of her own.