Webcomic: It Sucks to Be Weegie!
aka: It Sucks To Be Weegee
Luigi: Whoever said "one is the loneliest number" never had to be player two.It Sucks to Be Weegie
is a Super Mario Bros. fan webcomic
by Kevin"K-Bo" Bolk
, about, well... how much it sucks to be Weegie
Luigi is your run-of-the-mill loser
who is trying to get out of his brother's shadow (who incidentally never shows up in the comic
). The world is constantly out to get him, however. He starts out without a single friend, but as the series goes on he gains support from Daisy
Ended Christmas Day 2013. It can be found here
at Pot Luck Comics and here
This series contains examples of:
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Out the ears. Link is slight Camp Gay, Luigi has an inferiority complex, Daisy is a pervert, Peach is The Ditz, Rosalina is even more of a ditz, Lucas is a Nietzsche Wannabe, and Captain Falcon is also a ditz (and a Jerkass, for prank calling Luigi pretending to be Shigeru Miyamoto offering a pay rise).
- Animated Actors: The character's video game exploits occupy a weird space between this trope and actual adventures. It's most prominent with Link, though, who is explicitly referred to as being "on the set" of Skyward Sword.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Luigi's possible past lives were that of dictators, murderers, and the Pringles Man.
- Aside Glance: Luigi gives one in this comic, as he realizes he can take advantage of the fact Rosalina mistakes him for Freddie Mercury.
- Bait and Switch: In one comic, the pudgy hero of the Mushroom Kingdom whose name starts with M is finally showing up in the comic! You're expecting it to be Mario, aren't you? Nope, sorry, it's actually Mallow.
- Berserk Button: Daisy's is claiming she's just a Palette Swap of Peach. Link's is pointing how he's hardly in the titles for his games.
- Better as Friends: Daisy tells Luigi this. He's just happy to have a friend.
- Big Beautiful Woman: Daisy is made much chubbier than the other princesses. She's still quite cute. Cute enough to even have her own pin-up picture.
- Butt Monkey: Luigi to a ridiculous degree. There's also the Goomba that complains about how he always has to worry about getting squashed... just for Fox to trample him moments afterwards.
- Celebrity Resemblance: An in-universe example happens when Rosalina mistakes Luigi for Freddie Mercury. She keeps on calling him Freddie throughout the comic, and he doesn't mind.
- The Chew Toy: Luigi.
- Creepy Child: Lucas. It says something when quoting lyrics from Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street isn't out of character for him.
- A Day in the Limelight/And Now for Someone Completely Different: "It's Great to be Birdo!"
- The Ditz/Cloudcuckoolander: Rosalina is a literal space case. She thinks Luigi is Freddie Mercury.
- The Eeyore: Lucas.
- Eldritch Abomination: Rosalina paints a picture for Luigi. The painting is of "Weegee", from the PC game Mario is Missing!. Its eyes even move. Naturally, Luigi freaks out.
- Enfant Terrible: Baby Peach.
- Evil Counterpart: Luigi has one in the form of Waluigi, who constantly mocks him despite the fact he may be the one person who actually sucks more than Luigi.
- Gamer Girl: Daisy.
- Genre Savvy: Luigi at times.
: Wait a tick. I haven't seen Mario in a couple of weeks. Has he gone missing?
Is this a haunted
(Luigi grumpily hangs up the phone)
- The Ghost: Mario. Despite being mentioned a lot for his heroics, Luigi's more popular brother never appears in the comic.
- Wonderfully lampshaded in this background.
- Gonk: Wario, Waluigi, and Donkey Kong.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Luigi swears this way.
- Have I Mentioned I am Gay?: Link.
- Heroic Mime: Averted with Link. He handwaves it by saying he just doesn't get to talk a lot in his day job.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners/Odd Friendship: Luigi and Link... even though Link isn't actually heterosexual.
- Incompatible Orientation: Daisy immediately falls head-over-heels in love with Link... too bad for her that Link is Straight Gay.
- Interspecies Romance: Between Pauline and Donkey Kong.
- Jerkass: Waluigi and Captain Falcon. Zelda is definitely one.
- Captain Falcon may actually be acting like a Jerkass to cover up the fact that he is in fact just as lonely as Luigi.
- Local Hangout: "Sub-Space," which is a bar where Luigi, Link, and Daisy often hang out.
- Nice Character, Mean Actor: Zelda, apparently.
- Noodle Incident: Link mentions an "incident in '93" at one point. Zelda does the same later. Then again, given what we know about certain Zelda games released in 1993, it's probably for the best that they don't elaborate.
- "Sad Octorock" Face: Luigi's are strong enough to work through the phoneline. Mario also apparently has them.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Luigi gives quite a nasty one to Waluigi after he's spent two comics trolling Luigi. In fact, he begins to tear up afterwards. When Luigi starts to feel bad for it, Waluigi takes advantage of the opportunity and gives him an atomic wedgie.
Luigi: I suck? I suck!?! Look who's talking, you freak! How many games have you been in, huh? Mario Tennis? Yeah, real winner there. And what? Did you wake up one morning and think "I'm sick of playing with myself. I should do something with my life. I know! I'll dress up like a crappy evil clone of a second-string video game character." Yeah, way to aim high, pal. I may have low self-esteem but I think you are the only person who actually sucks more than I do. So you can take your "secret message" and SHOVE IT WHERE THE WARP PIPES DON'T GO!!
- Samus is a Girl: ...except Luigi doesn't know that. When she offered him the time of his life, Luigi refused, saying that he didn't swing that way.
- Schedule Slip: The last actual comic was in May 2012. That was followed by a plea for donations in June, with nothing happening until January. Which wasn't actually a comic, but titled "Umm..." and had four panels of Luigi having no idea what to do.
- It's back on, with a new comic being released.
- As of 2014, it's done. This time for real.
- Sorry, I'm Gay: Link. Provides the trope image.
- Stealth Insult: "I assure you, no one could possibly think less of you than they already do."
- Straw Nihilist: Lucas.
- Take That: Peach describes Twilight as "those trashy vampire novels".
- The Teaser: Every comic starts with a remark from Luigi. Sometimes they are related to the comic, but more often they're just further looks at how much it sucks to be him.
- The Unfavourite: It wasn't really surprising when Luigi was revealed to be one. However, in an earlier comic, he says that he was apparently Mama's favorite, at least.
- Actually, he's Mama's favourite "Not-Mario". Poor Luigi.
- Taken to an incredibly pitiful level here.
- This Loser Is You: Luigi.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: In the finale, he gets a compliment and a kiss from Toadette.
- When Life Gives You Lemons: ...be thankful it didn't give you rocks.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Waluigi pretends to be hurt by Luigi's beatdown of him in order to lure him in for an atomic wedgie.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Captain Falcon impersonates Shigeru Miyamoto and pulls a prank on Luigi by saying that it is the Year of Luigi. When Satoru Iwata calls about the same thing, Luigi thinks it is another prank, and rages at him.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Daisy is one, if her Axel/Roxas poster is anything to go by. Also perhaps why she's not deterred by Link outright telling her he's gay...
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: Referenced in the first comic.