Cloudscratcher is a Talking Animal webcomic that takes place in a World in the Sky where civilization rests atop the highest mountains and broadest plateus, which chronicles the adventures of the La Résistance movement who fly the airship Cloudscratcher in their fight against the serpentine Margoth Empire. The main characters are the easily-excitable cat mechanic Felix and the child soldier-turned-defectee snake Ixia, with the rest of the crew consisting of The Captain... The Captain, first mate and "trump card" Alice, pilots Burt and Jacques, communications officer Delia, chef and primary muscle Sally, priest/doctor and fellow Empire defectee Sogaat and "apprentice mechanic" Scotty.Up till now their main opponents have the overall ineffectual West Bravo, but when the Empire's so-called "hero" Borzax is placed in charge of West Bravo to whips things into shape and finish off the Cloudscratcher crew once and for all...Cloudscratcher is written to be a Genre Throwback to the Talking Animal cartoons of the 80s and 90s from the likes of Disney and Don Bluth, with TaleSpin being the clearest influence. Speaking of high-flying Diesel Punk stories, the comic also draws heavily from the Crimson Skies series.Join the adventure here.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Ace Pilot: All of the Cloudscratcher crew, though especially Alice. Even the captain, though not a fighter pilot, is one of the few airship pilots who can handle the turbulence below the cloud cover.
- Airborne Aircraft Carrier: The Cloudscratcher has a hanger bay for their biplanes.
- Beware the Nice Ones / Psychopathic Manchild: Agathoth is described like so.
- The Captain: Take a wild guess.
- Captain Ersatz: Future character Valentine is confirmed to be one of "Smooth Criminal"-era Michael Jackson.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Ixia's super strength comes from her Training from Hell.
- Chess Motifs: To a small extent. Alice has a quite a few similarities in role to the Queen, naturally making The Captain the King, Burt and Sally being Rooks and Sogaat a Bishop.
- Child Prodigy: Felix in regards to machines, to the point where Cool Old Guy Scotty is his apprentice.
- Cool Big Sis: Delia is an adoptive one to Felix.
- The Dragon: Narkethoness to Borzax and Agathoth to Emperor Vox, almost literally considering they're serpents.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: The Captain. The crew don't refer to him by name and the cast page doesn't give him a name, just "The Captain". Though General Leon refers to him as "O'Connell".
- Fantastic Racism: The Serpent Empire discriminates heavily against "Furballs", conversely General Leon thinks that "good" serpents like Sogaat are the exception rather than the rule.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Felix, as stated above.
- Heel-Face Turn: Ixia at the story's beginning (though this was always her intention) and Sogaat prior to its beginning. Nyx might be headed this way.
- Interspecies Adoption: Felix (cat) was adopted by the Captain (dog).
- Knight of Cerebus: Borzax, though having the courtesy to make his mark relatively early in the story.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Major Noggos' character.
- Nice Hat: Valentine. Comes with being a Smooth Criminal homage.
- Sky Pirates: Confirmed to be in future chapters.
- Super Strength: Sally, even in comparison to regular bovines.
- Super-Strong Child: Ixia, though mainly as a result of her Child Soldier status.
- Team Dad: The Captain, especially towards Felix.
- Training from Hell: Ixia was exposed to this by Agathoth. He might live to regret it ...