Pushing Up Roses (Sarah Wilson) is a writer/artist/humorist/video producer. Her Website, PushingUpRoses.com
was launched during the summer of 2009. She is known for her show, "Let's Play Shortys", which goes up on That Guy With the Glasses and youtube. The show features her playing games that have been either lost into obscurity or mediocrity, and often has a co-host. Co-hosts include Paw Dugan
, Obscurus Lupa
, Todd in the Shadows
, and The Cinema Snob
. Since December 2010, she's started her own review series on TGWTG relating to music, called Vinyl Destination
With Angry Joe's
departure from Transmission Awesome
(the official podcast of TGWTG), Roses has joined the cast along with Y: Ruler of Time
On January 1st, 2013, Roses announced her retirement from TGWTG.com; however, she continues to make video game related content. The first is a series called "Second Look", looking at some popular-back-then games and deciding if they warrant a return.She's now part of Retroware.TV and seems to have struck up a new BFF
relationship with fellow DOS/PC lover, LGR, of Lazy Game Reviews
often appearing in each other streams, and one collaboration video.
This reviewer provides examples of:
- Allegory: In her "Behind the Video" parody, she uses things like "video game addiction" and becoming ill via consumption of White Castle to represent the more serious things she had been through months prior.
- Always Someone Better: Is apparently this to Spoony in Mortal Kombat.
- Author Appeal: Tattoos. And death. Gory gory death. Gory, slimy horrendous scary deaths. Of the deadly variety.
- The Cast Show Off: Damn, she can sing.
- Cross Over: Besides Paw Dugan, she also played with Todd in the Shadows, Lord Kat, Obscurus Lupa, Oancitizen and LGR.
- Daddy's Girl: On her website, she often writes about her relationship with her deceased father. The articles detail her admiration for her father, and has been quoted saying "He is my hero."
- Fangirl: Of both The Monkees and Hall & Oates.
- Fetish Retardant: Roses and Oancitizen's reaction to F$#% Quest.
- Flat "What.": In her Let's Play of Hugo 2 when she realizes the other side of the frustratingly difficult path through the garden of Venus' flytraps leads right back to the gate.
- Also spoken in her Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures LP, in response to PeanutButterGamer's banter.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Has a tendency to name everything cute or mundane names, including horrible monsters.
- Friendship Moment: During her Let's Plays, she will mention or give shout outs to her friends. During their collaboration of The Oregon Trail, Paw Dugan and Roses named the members of their party after their fellow video producer friends.
- Goth: As a call back to her teenage years, in the premiere for Second Look, Goth Roses appears in an Imagine Spot that's Deliberately Monochrome, with Morrissey blasting in the background.
- In a top 10 favourite Sierra deaths, she literally dressed up as Death.
- Geek: In real life, she tutors computer applications and web coding. "I like Robots more than people."
- In her "Wizard101" video, she explains her love of her childhood math classes.
- Genki Girl: She's nearly always smiling.
- GeniusBruiser: She will assault you with intelligent words, then kick your ass with her kickboxing skills.
- The Gimmick: When appropriate, she will often dress up as death/zombie makeup to suit specific reviews.
- Jump Scare: A few in her "Sanitarium" review, and then a minor scare in Treasure Mountain, where a clip jarringly jumps to a mock scream and a jittery screen.
- Lame Excuse: Todd in the Shadows and Paw Dugan get out of participating in her 33 1/3 Revolutions per Monkee review by claiming to be 'on fire' and 'drowning' respectively.
- Let's Play
- Man Child: Sarah calls Roses much more childlike and bubbly than herself.
- Nerd Glasses: Though they're more of a necessity than a fashion statement, due to intense astigmatism.
- One of Us: Beyond just being a nerd, she was very pleased when she learned TV Tropes had a page for her. She is one of the few internet personalities who interacts frequently with her fanbase.
- In her Barbie LP Shorty, she directly mentions reading this wiki. And knowing that what is written here is truth.
- Opposites Attract: While Roses is usually very quirky/borderline morbidly cute ("Corn cob death is my favorite"), her partners, either Paw Dugan or LGR, are often more laid back and the voice of reason.
- Miss Exposition: Explains the backstory behind certain scenes in The Monkees' film Head to Paw Dugan and Todd in the Shadows.
- Parody: As her departure video for TGWTG, she created a Behind The Music parody, featuring dramatic acting and writing.
- Promoted Fangirl: She was a longtime fan of TGWTG before joining.
- Rapid-Fire Comedy
- Running Gag: In her videos, she references other adventure games: "THROW CHOP!! THROW CHOP!!" "PUT GEM IN MOUTH!!" She also has a penchant to try to make friends with everyone and anything.
- Self-Deprecation: Takes some shots at herself in "Behind The Video", particularly when she humorously admits to being complicated.
- Sequel Hook: At the end of her 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee review, Paw appears to seal her into a Myst trap book...
- Sophisticated as Hell: oancitizen sings "The Bad Touch" by Bloodhound Gang while the main character in F$#% Quest serenades a girl in a grand opera voice.
- Her Beavis and Butt-Head review starts out with her speaking eloquently over Vivaldi's "Four Seasons", while wearing a tiny top hat.
- That's What She Said: She'll insert these (that's what she said) into her videos every so often. Usually because it IS something that she said.
- Take That: Mocks a character's blue eyeshadow, then shows a picture of Kesha also wearing blue eyeshadow.
- Took a Level in Badass: Has taken up kickboxing during her hiatus from producing videos.
- Wild Mass Guessing: She thinks Todd in the Shadows is a 13-year-old girl, in part because this site said he likes iCarly.
- Written-In Infirmity: The MST3K-like view of Roses, Todd and Paw in the Head review only happened because Roses didn't sleep the night before, and thus didn't want her eye-bag heavy face to be shot.
- Younger than They Look: Looks and acts VERY young at heart, as demonstrated in many videos.