Hello all. I am Jester. May the games begin.
— The Jester
This Alternate Reality Game
took place in The Fear Mythos
. It has long since concluded.
It all started with Jester. He left comments on a number of different blogs, inviting readers to play a game. When his name was clicked on, it would bring the curious to a strange Twitter account where Jester posted a number of riddles. It turned out that Jester had kidnapped a man named Derek and placed him in a cabin in an undisclosed location. Derek's twin sister, Grace, soon began receiving a number of riddles from Jester, with the promise that they would lead her to her brother. Meanwhile, Jester continued to post riddles on his Twitter feed, as Derek's well-being hinged on the riddles being solved in time.
Like most ARGs, the story was spread out all over the place. Jester's Twitter feed
, Derek's blog
, and Grace's blog
formed the core of the story. However, there were also a number of side blogs that provided puzzle hints and heavily fleshed out the story: Grace's Twitter feed
, The Mummer's Farce
(a Formspring account), The Lonesome Artist's Facebook profile
, and The Dance of Fortune
, a blog maintained by one of the Wooden Girl's
The game began on July 30, 2011, and concluded on September 8, 2011.
- Altum Videtur: Grace's blog is called Sola Gratia, which is Latin for "Grace Alone." This becomes ironic when it's revealed that she's not alone.
- Arc Words: Toward the end, the phrase "we are nearing the end of this mummer's farce" began popping up. In fact, the words "mummer's farce" could qualify all by themselves.
- Big Bad: Jester
- Bigger Bad: The Wooden Girl aka "Puppet Empress", who never actually appears in the story.
- Bittersweet Ending: Grace survives, but she has to kill Derek, who has been made into a puppet of the Wooden Girl.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Derek, aka the Mummer's Farce
- Deadly Game
- Dragon with an Agenda: The Vagabond wants to help Grace, unfortunately for him, his attempts to do so did not go unnoticed by the Wooden Girl.
- Freak Out!: Derek has one at one point, when the stress of being locked in a cabin gets to him.
- Goldfish Poop Gang: The Misfits, a group of puppet people who leave clues for Grace.
- Monster Clown: Jester, oh so much.
- Multiple Personalities: Grace and her other personality, Karen, aka Kevin, aka the Lonesome Artist.
- Repressed Memories: Grace has no memory of her other personality.
- Sadistic Choice: Jester was fond of offering these to players as a "reward" for solving his riddles.
- Shout-Out: In the first of the Vagabond's comments, he codes Magro's obituary and the show Magro created in Italy (Il Balo di Fortuna) is compared to other foreign shows: Laetibar and Kerzebucht - German for Candle Cove.
- The Unfavorite: Maggro favored his daughter Karen over her brother. And it's implied that he favored Karen over her other personality, Grace.