Video Game: Super Smash Bros. Crusade
Super Smash Bros. Crusade
is a large project built from the ground up and started by three Super Smash Bros.
fans: Phantom7, Falcon8r, and Dr.MarioX. Their goal is to create a Super Smash Bros.
game packed with characters and stages from the most memorable video games
of all time and create a Smash Bros. experience that combines the greatest features from the Smash Bros. series. The game is now headed by a new development team, named Project: Crusade, led by Jaklub (the head programmer, and overall head of the game) and many others. The goal of the game remains the same, and they are all hard at work to make it the greatest Smash Bros. Fangame that they can.There are currently around 50 characters in the game, and it continues to rise with each coming demo.
The series' represented are numerous, but here is the current Roster:
Characters currently in the game:
- Super Mario Bros.: Mario, Luigi / Weegee, Princess Peach, Toad, Petey Pirhana
- The Legend of Zelda: Link, Toon Link, Ganondorf
- Pokémon: Pikachu / Pichu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, Snivy
- Kirby: Kirby, Gooey, Meta Knight
- Metroid: Samus / Zero-Suit Samus, Ridley
- MOTHER: Ness, Lucas, Porky
- Star Fox: Fox, Falco, Krystal
- F-Zero: Captain Falcon
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow
- Street Fighter: Ryu / Evil Ryu, Chun-Li
- Sin and Punishment: Saki Amamiya
- Mega Man Classic: Mega Man
- Mach Rider: Mach Rider
- Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright
- Duck Hunt: Duck Hunt Dog
- Rayman: Rayman
- Bomberman: Bomberman
- Ristar: Ristar
- Metal Gear: Solid Snake
- Game & Watch: Mr. Game and Watch
- Ice Climber: Ice Climbers
- Nintendo: R.O.B.
- Dragon Ball Z: Goku
Along with many tropes in the official Super Smash Bros. games, this game contains examples of:
- The All-Seeing A.I.
- Amazing Technicolor Battlefield: The game has its own incarnations of Battlefield and Final Destination, which keep true to their roots.
- Animation Bump: The character portraits of the v0.9 test release, which are significantly higher-quality than the battle sprites. Earlier installments lifted portraits from various sources which often clashed with each other, so this is a notable improvement.
- Damn You, Muscle Memory: Players who are used to Super Smash Flash 2 tend to have a little trouble here, as the directional inputs are on the other side of the keyboard and the attack and special keys are reversed.
- Dueling Games: Super Smash Flash 2 and Super Smash Bros. Crusade. Both are vying for the title of best Smash Fangame, and time will tell which one is better.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: The original demo of Super Smash Bros. Crusade was probably the most ridiculous thing you would ever see. Thankfully, it is no longer really around.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Duck Hunt Dog and Mach Rider.
- Gag Penis: Weegee. And it's a lightsaber.
- Idiosyncratic Combo Levels: A departure from the source, the game keeps track of combos. Expect the announcer to shout "Very good!" and the like.
- Improbable Weapon User: Phoenix Wright, true to his Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 incarnation, primarily fights with paper and evidence.
- Jack of All Stats: Mario and Ryu, true to their origins.
- Kamehame Hadouken: With both Trope Namers present, of course this is going to come into play.
- Large Ham: Porky.
- Limit Break: Every character has a Final Smash just like in Brawl. Some characters like Ryu and Goku have multiple Final Smashes due to coming from more traditional fighting games.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: One of the game's main attractions is its roster of 50 and growing.
- Mana Meter: The game uses one instead of Smash Balls.
- Off Model: A common criticism of the game is of the poorly-made graphics. Slowly improving starting with the v0.9 test release, which produced original pixel art for the menus and portraits similar to Super Smash Flash 2, but the battle sprites remain unchanged.
- Rank Inflation: After the match, the winner is ranked from E up to S.
- Raymanian Limbs: Rayman himself.
- Retraux: The Q*bert and Excitebike stages keep their native graphics, and the background of Battlefield appears to be a Shout Out to the Metal Mario stage in the original Super Smash Bros..
- Shotoclone: Ryu, true to the Trope Codifier. And, oddly, Mega Man.
- The Assimilator: Weegee's neutral special turns his opponents into vulnerable, immobile copies of himself.
- Unexpected Character: There are many truly unexpected fighters currently in Crusade, and most likely, those will not be the only ones seen. For the curious, Weegee is likely the biggest oddball to check out.