Video Game: Mach Rider
Mach Rider is a 1985 futuristic driving launch game for the Nintendo Entertainment system (NES) created by Nintendo. It was first released on October 18, 1985 for the Nintendo Entertainment System in North America, as one of the 18 initial launch games. A month later, on November 21 1985, the title was released in Japan. On March 15, 1987 it was released in Europe and Australia. The Famicom version can use the Famicom Data Recorder to save custom tracks. Although the feature to save your custom tracks was only available in the Famicom version in the original releases, all versions of the Virtual Console release can save custom tracks.It was released on the Virtual Console for the Wii (in 2007), Nintendo 3DS (in 2013) and Wii U (in 2014). Mach Rider takes place in the year 2112, and planet Earth has been invaded by evil forces driving vehicles known as Quadrunners. The player controls Mach Rider, who travels from sector to sector on a motorcycle, searching for survivors and destroying the enemies in his path.
Mach Rider contains examples of:
- Alien Invasion: The main plot.
- Ambiguous Gender: It has never been confirmed whether Mach Rider is male or female, although the character's Super Smash Bros. Melee trophy suggests he's male.
- Badass Biker: The eponymous Mach Rider.
- Cool Bike: The Mach Bike is equipped with machine guns and can repair itself immediately after exploding. It definitely counts.
- Death Course: Many of the later levels.
- Endless Game: Although the game says it has 10 stages, the story clips loop after you beat the 10th one. You still get ten more choices of different maps to race on, making for 20 stages before the game truly loops.
- Excuse Plot: The invasion plot never really amounts to anything.
- Expy: A masked warrior on a motorcycle? Sounds familiar.
- Every 10000 Points: You get an extra life every 20000 points.
- Fake Difficulty: The oil and water puddles and ice and rocks and barrels in the early levels, and the Mooks who drop them right in front of you.
- Interface Screw: The...unconventional... controls for the Level Editor.
- Level Editor: A track creator which can only be saved in the Famicom version with the Famicom Data Recorder, along with the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U Virtual Console versions, a flaw shared with Excitebike, and Wrecking Crew, and any other games that used the Famicom Data Recorder
- Marathon Level: Many of the later endurance stages, which can take 7 minutes, if you don't mess up....AT LL
- Mooks but No Bosses: The only enemys are the quadrunners, but no bosses.
- Nintendo Hard: It IS a NES launch game, it is obvious.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: If Mach Rider runs into ANYTHING he loses a life, although he can bump into quadrunners by his side to try and knock them into hazards.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: some of the levels are covered in ice, causing you to slide around like a maniac!
- Timed Mission:The endurance and solo modes, where the objective is to ride a certain distance before time runs out.
- Video Game Lives: You get three at the beginning of the fighting course (the main story mode).