Video Game: Leisure Suit Larry Magna Cum Laude
Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude is a 2004 video game, part of the Leisure Suit Larry series. The game introduces a new main character — Larry Lovage, Larry Laffer's nephew. This is the 8th game in the series.Like many other current games, Magna Cum Laude has a free exploration mode where Larry can walk about campus and interact with students and personnel on the premises. In this mode, Larry can search for hidden money or tokens, strike poses to impress girls, and take photos which can later be sold to collectors. At several locations on campus a minigame can be entered, usually by "activating" an object or a person (starting a conversation). The player must win most of the minigames in order to advance. Minigames started by a conversation usually increase the affection of one of the girls; other minigames can provide money or increase "confidence".The main character, Larry Lovage, is a student at Walnut Log Community College whose purpose is to get on a dating TV show called "Swingles". Uma Yasmine, the hostess of the show won't allow Larry in the show until he proves his seductive wits by obtaining "tokens of affection". Sixteen college girls will conveniently be at his disposal. His aging uncle Larry provides brief advice and appears at a local bar. Larry also must outsmart a sorority house and a fraternity house known as Dio (whose lines are actually modified lyrics from Black Sabbath songs).
Provides examples of:
- A Date with Rosie Palms: The masturbation minigame boosts Larry's confidence statistic, which opens up additional scenarios.
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: Barbara Jo.
- Alliterative Name: Larry Lovage.
- Amazonian Beauty: Zanna.
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: The player needs to buy special clothes in order to get in some places.
- Animated Actors: One of the chat scenes between Larry Lovage and band geek Harriet has Larry break character to harangue his agent for most of the scene about how lousy this storyline is; if you lose the minigame, Harriet storms off to her trailer at the end.
- The Baroness: Tilly.
- Brawn Hilda: Zanna.
- Butt Monkey: Larry. Everyone hates him.
- Camp Gay: Almost everyone in the Spartacus nightclub. A few are Straight Gay and the rest don't get enough lines to have a personality anyway.
- Dance Party Ending
- The Glasses Gotta Go: When attempting to give Ione a makeover, Larry starts with this, mentioning that it always works in movies. Then he puts them right back on. Apparently her squinting is rather bad.
- Granola Girl: Charlotte's scenario is focused on her efforts to free the science department's lab monkey.
- Mini-Game: About 70% of the gameplay by weight.
- Mythology Gag: Filled with them, some blatant and some subtle.
- Most obvious is "Uncle Larry"'s references to his past exploits.
- Lefty's Too is a duplicate of the bar from the first remake of LSL 1.
- The sorority house has a series of plaques on the wall with EGA portraits of women from the old games.
- Rhythm Game: Plenty of the mini-games are based on this.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Some of the incorrect dialogue choices will cause Larry to do this. One instance is when he learns that he has angered the mob boss father of one of the girls, and another is when he comes across Lesbian! Ione.
- Soapbox Sadie: Charlotte's efforts to free the science department's lab monkey initially involve standing around and annoying passersby with a megaphone.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: In the "cheerleader ending", Barbara's previously-unmentioned identical twin shows up just for this.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Russell after his makeover.
- Wacky Fratboy Hijinx: Pretty much the whole point of the setting.
- Where Everybody Knows Your Flame: The Spartacus nightclub.