Kasumi Ninja is one of the many fighting games that tried to copy Mortal Kombat.Released for the short-lived Atari Jaguar, and claiming to be the "Mortal Kombat Killer", Kasumi Ninja could not live to those standards. As a matter of fact, it was blasted by critics.The plot of this game is, in a word, nonexistent. The only information the game gives is that the game takes place on Kasumi Island. In fact, part of the blame for this game's failure lies in the rushed production schedule the developers imposed upon themselves. This need to get the game done as fast as possible led to nigh everything not related to the gameplay or unlocking characters getting excised.Today, the game is notorious on the Internet for one character in particular: Angus, the Scotsman who shoots fireballs out from under his kilt.
Kasumi Ninja provides examples of the following tropes:
- Asian Speekee Engrish: The announcer.
- Captain Ersatz: Notably, the two starting characters are clearly supposed to be Scorpion and Sub-Zero, right down to the color schemes and rivalry.
- Captain Ethnic: You thought Nightwolf was stereotypical? Take a look at Pakawa (who even does the "HEYA-HOYA-HEYA-HOYA" dance when he wins and scalps his victims for his fatality.) A few others fall under this, too, like Angus.
- Excuse Plot: There's some semblance of a plot in the attract mode and ending, with a secret island meant to train ninja, dark gods taking over, and a prophecy to help the player find a way to beat the Big Bad. Not like anyone's plot actually bothers with this.
- Finishing Move: One fighting game that tried to cash in on the gore out of many.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: There's not much of an explanation as to where the heck the endboss, a Palette Swap ninja who appears to be the Akuma to the other two ninjas' Ryu and Ken, came from. There is even less explanation as to how he transformed into a silly Kaiju monster.
- Historical-Domain Character: Alaric was probably King Alaric I, leader of the Visigoths.
- Magical Native American: Pakawa
- Ninja: Just like Mortal Kombat, we have a few of these as well with differently colored clothes.