"WILL HELP YOU!"Kid Niki: Radical Ninja is a side-scrolling arcade Platform Game created by Irem, set in a fantasy version of ancient Japan. The game was originally titled Kaiketsu Yanchamaru in Japan; Data East USA's localization gave it a "rad" 1980s makeover. Ports of the game were released for the Nintendo Entertainment System, Apple ][ and Commodore 64.Several Japan-only sequels were released in the early 1990s: two Numbered Sequels for the Famicom (Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 2: Karakuri Land, Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 3: Taiketsu! Zouringen) and one for the Game Boy (Ganso!! Yanchamaru).
— Opening cutscene (US version)
Tropes contained in Kid Niki: Radical Ninja:
- Bonus Stage: Bonus points are hidden in secret rooms.
- Death Throws: When Kid Niki dies, he spins around and jumps off the bottom of the screen.
- Green Hill Zone: Round 1, Land of the Trees.
- One Hitpoint Wonder: Kid Niki/Yanchamaru goes down in one hit, except in the Famicom sequels.
- Save the Princess: Kid Niki's objective is to rescue Princess Margo, who is being held captive in the Stone Wizard's castle.
- Totally Radical: Data East's localization and marketing.
- Underground Level: The beginning and end of Round 4.
- Use Your Head: One of Death Breath's attacks is swinging his comically oversize head at you.
- Weapon Twirling: Kid Niki attacks by spinning his sword in front of him.
Tropes contained in the sequels:
- Amusement Park of Doom: Karakuri Land, the setting of Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 2.
- You Don't Look Like You: Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 2 and Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 3 are...ahem, "radically" different in art style to the original game and each other.