"WILL HELP YOU!"Kid Niki: Radical Ninja
— Opening cutscene (US version)
is a side-scrolling arcade Platform Game
created by Irem
, set in a fantasy version of ancient Japan
. The game was originally titled Kaiketsu Yanchamaru
in Japan; Data East
USA's localization gave it a "rad" 1980s makeover. Ports of the game were released for the Nintendo Entertainment System
, Apple ][
and Commodore 64
Several Japan-only sequels were released in the early 1990s: two Numbered Sequels
for the Famicom (Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 2: Karakuri Land
, Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 3: Taiketsu! Zouringen
) and one for the Game Boy
Tropes contained in Kid Niki: Radical Ninja:
- Bonus Stage: Bonus points are hidden in secret rooms.
- Death Throws: When Kid Niki dies, he spins around and jumps off the bottom of the screen.
- Green Hill Zone: Round 1, Land of the Trees.
- One Hitpoint Wonder: Kid Niki/Yanchamaru goes down in one hit, except in the Famicom sequels.
- Save the Princess: Kid Niki's objective is to rescue Princess Margo, who is being held captive in the Stone Wizard's castle.
- Totally Radical: Data East's localization and marketing.
- Underground Level: The beginning and end of Round 4.
- Use Your Head: One of Death Breath's attacks is swinging his comically oversize head at you.
- Weapon Twirling: Kid Niki attacks by spinning his sword in front of him.
Tropes contained in the sequels: