Series / Thumb Wrestling Federation
The Thumb Wrestling Federation
is a Show Within The Commercials
that frames Cartoon Network
's Saturday morning programming block
, with a match at the halfway point of the block. It is a parody of Professional Wrestling
featuring two rival teams, the Sinistras
and the Mighty Dexteras
, with play-by-play by Dick Thompson and color commentary by retired thumb wrestler Colonel Cossack. Other behind-the-scenes shorts run between the other shows, though Dick and the Colonel are the only characters to appear in the mid-show Ad Bumpers
. Produced by Animation Collective
Definitely needs a Characters page.
This series provides examples of:
- Action Girl: 8 female wrestlers so far through three seasons.
- Alliterative Name: Colonel Cossack, Hometown Huck, Pei Pei the Purple Panda, Senator Skull, Vini Vidi Victory — ah, screw it, there's just too many to name.
- Alpha Bitch: Itsy Bitsy is the number one Alpha Bitch on the show, due to her past as a serial killer who murdered & devoured 27 of her own mates. Queen Nefercreepy comes at a close second & The Cheetah is at the third spot.
- Bad Boss: Bucks Gazillion punishes his own teammates for losing by dropping them a trapdoor.
- The Bad Guy Wins: After the first two seasons' tournaments were won by Dexteras, a Sinistra, Bucks Gazillion, won in season 3.
- Bare-Handed Puppetry: The show stars thumbs topped with Mexican-style wrestling masks. The "referee" and "commentators" wear wigs and googly eyes.
- Berserk Button: Making fun of either Face-Off Phil's accent or his favorite game (hockey) will cause him to pummel you. Making fun of his homeland, on the other hand, is both an invitation for him to destroy you & an indication that you're a complete moron.
- Butt-Monkey: Ouch and Billy Batboy. Dick Thompson gets treated this way courtesy of Colonel Cossack. The referee has fallen victim to being covered in slime, webbed by Itsy Bitsy, and had a piano and an anvil dropped on his head. Out of the Dexteras' major wrestlers, Hometown Huck has lost more matches than the others.
- Canada, Eh?: Face-Off Phil
- Cloudcuckoolander: Colonel Cossack & Dwayne Bramage(Especially the latter)
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: A few wrestlers haven't appeared since Seasons 1 or 2: Flashback, The Amoeba, Dwayne Bramage, and Fly Guy. Good Ira hasn't even appeared since Season 1.
- Dumb Muscle: Gogachog the caveman, The Lost Viking, Dwayne Bramage, and Big Star.
- Dance Battler: N Fuego, who can turn up the heat by dancing.
- Demoted to Extra: Dorsal Flynn first appeared as a wrestler, now he just interviews the wrestlers who would fight in the championship matches. Vini Vidi Victory, despite being the leader of the Mighty Dexteras, doesn't fight at all in seasons 3-5. Lampshaded by Mr. Extremo in the "Dexteras Respond" gag.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first season had many things that the later seasons lacked: no Trash-Talk segments, Evil Ira being a Dextera, and a few of the wrestlers' stat cards, especially the Lost Viking's, where in season 1, his description was "Has No Idea Where He Is", but in seasons 3-4, it's "Barbarian Warrior". Viking's fourth stat changed from "Direction" to "Brutality". Unit 19G, in Season 1, stated that his programming prevents him from harming N Fuego, but in Season 2 onwards, he was reprogrammed to fight.
- Averted in Season 2 where Vini Vidi Victory's stat card shows "Size", "Speed", "Strength", and "Looks" rather than "Power", "Agility", "Stamina", and "Loyalty". This is more of a case of "Late Installment Weirdness".
- Even Evil Has Standards: In late Season 4, even the Sinistras can't stand Bucks Gazillion.
- The crowd, the Dexteras and commentators are in shock when Senator Skull used the illegal Sinistra Scissor Choke on Gary the Intern twice, both in the same match. Dick states that he thought even the Sinistras weren't that evil.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Pei Pei the Purple Panda
- Eviler Than Thou: Bucks Gazillion forcibly takes over the Sinistras in season 3. Okay, more like buys the Sinistras.
- Face–Heel Turn: With a name like "Evil Ira"¯ (he initially wanted to be called "Good Ira", but it was already taken by some Identical Stranger), it was inevitable.
- Foreign Wrestling Heel: what Colonel Cossack probably was during his thumb wrestling career.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Itsy Bitsy's bio revealed that she used to be a serial killer...& that she only joined the TWF because she was bored of killing.
- He Knows Too Much: Mr. Extremo figured out that the Lost Viking was being fed instructions through an earpiece Bucks Gazillion gave him, which caused Bucks to drop Extremo through a trapdoor.
- Hot-Blooded: Face-Off Phil has multiple Berserk Buttons, one of which is being called a hot-head. And he's one of the good guys. Also Colonel Cossack.
- The Hyena: Laughing Loony
- Jerk Ass: Most of the Sinistras, except for Billy Batboy.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Vini Vidi Victory used to be the leader of a powerful gang. One day, he entered a gym and got his real first taste of what it is to be a real tough guy. After that, he turned his life around & trained at the gym until he became powerful enough to effortlessly take out his former gang. He then formed the Mighty Dexteras in the face of revolt caused by Senator Skull
- Jerk With A Heartof Jerk: Senator Skull. Great goodness, Senator Skull...
- Joke Character: Bunch of it.
- Ouch is just some random dude with a bunch of bandages. His endless injuries are quite staggering.
- Billy Batboy isn't a bat, he thinks that he's a bat & most of the time tries to scare his opponent...with a costume that hardly even resembles a bat.
- Milty the Clown hardly even tries to fight, he mostly just tries to make his opponent laugh.
- Dwayne Bramage isn't even sane...a horrible accident that he suffered in the past actually caused his insanity. However, his insanity makes him immune to Wasabi's skill, but that's pretty much it.
- Laughing Looney only laughs and that's it.
- Captain Esplanade is a wannabe hero who tends to speak than do more, and most of his speaking are "Not I!" which makes him a lazy coward.
- Large Ham: Colonel Cossack. This also applies to nearly every single wrestler.
- Lightning Bruiser: Nearly every wrestler that appeared on the show.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Pinky, when he accidentally caused Wasabi to lose to The Big Time. in Season 5, the Dexteras realized that it was a mistake to have shunned their new teammate Cleat Cunningham and accuse him of assaulting Mr. Extremo and being in league with Senator Skull after Pinky revealed Skull's latest evil plan.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Vini Vidi Victory's biggest mistake was sending all the Dexteras after Steve, while leaving the Season 3 championship match unsupervised. The referee even went too!
- Noodle Incident: Whatever caused Dwayne Bramage's head injury.
- Only Sane Man: Dick Thompson
- Pyro Maniac: N Fuego can set fires simply by dancing, & since he dances all the time...
- Rage Quit: How Face-Off Phil defeated Senator Skull.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Bucks Gazillion. Oh, so much. Now that he's the leader of the Sinistras, it's been all but impossible for a Dextera to win in season 4.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: The Big Time, Itsy Bitsy, Scoutmaster Scott, and Evil Ira all bolt (not at the same time, though) and quit... at least until season 5.
- Serious Business: Senator Skull's main goal is (or was, anyway) to lead the Sinistras into winning the TWF championship and Take Over the World.
- Skyward Scream: Senator Skull does an epic Big "NO!" after finding out that Bucks Gazillion has bought out the Sinistras.
- Spanner in the Works: Senator Skull in the Season 4 Thumber Summer championship match, Pinky in Season 5's championship match.
- Stealth Pun: Sinister and Dexter are heraldic terms meaning, respectively, left and right.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Senator Skull, the (former) leader of the Sinistras.
- Super Strength: After winding up, the Big Time can slam his opponent to the mat so hard that he causes a nuclear explosion.
- Gogachog has been shown moving a stone wheel & a boulder without even the slightest signs of exhaustion. Both objects were also bigger then he was.
- Taking the Bullet: The Dexteras found Cleat Cunningham about to be hit with the Big Time's Time Bomb, so Face-Off Phil pushes Cleat out of the Big Time's way and takes the hit instead.
- Team Killer: Newcomer Cleat Cunningham is accused of sabotage during Senator Skull's rematch with Mr. Extremo.
- Too Dumb to Live: Dwayne Bramage. Justified, due to a horrible accident that he suffered in the past.
- The Big Star, the cousin of the Big Time. He even tried to hug a bacon cheeseburger when he was supposed to punch it!
- The Cheetah & Queen Nefercreepy show shades of this, especially in their matches against Face-Off Phil.
- Billy Batboy, who thinks he's a bat. He mostly just tries to scare his opponents...with a mask that looks almost nothing like a bat. What's more, he thinks that he can actually take on Wasabi & Hometown Huck.
- Well, he did square off against Mahi Mahi Mindy during the royal thumble. Plus, he also has a giant bat named Leatherwing that he can call out on a whim. Other then that, he's a joke.
- Villainous Breakdown: After Mr. Extremo defeated the Visitor and reclaimed the title of TWF Champion, Bucks complains about how his master plan could have failed.
- Warrior Poet: Wasabi, though she's more along the lines of Kirabi.
- Wearing a Flag on Your Head: James Montgomery Flag's mask is based on the American flag, and Face-Off Phil's is based on the Canadian flag.
- The Worf Effect: Despite his high power level, Gogachog the caveman can't even win a single match due to how easy it is to trick him. And while Vini Vidi Victory's signature move, the Vini Vidi Vadavoom, is powerful, it can be interrupted by wrestlers like the Big Time and Itsy Bitsy.
- Hometown Huck gets this treatment most of the time, especially in Seasons 2 and 4, where in the latter season, he lost to Rolf the Reaper!