"Money is the root of all evil."
A Prime Time Soap
airing on ABC
Nick George grew up with the Darling family
, the "first family of New York," because his dad Dutch
was their family lawyer. As a teenager, he dated/proposed to Karen Darling, who apparently said no. Now as an adult, his dad's been murdered
and he's been lured into being the Darling family lawyer himself. (And as it turns out, he's related to one of 'em.) He's the guy that gets to sit at the fancy table...and then gets sent out to clean up the mess when someone throws a plate. Screw the Rules, I Have Money!
might as well be the family motto.
Main characters include:
- Tripp Darling: head of the family. Seems way, way too fond of Nick.
- Letitia Darling: Tripp's wife, mother of five children. Had an affair with Dutch for forty years, which led to a Luke, I Am Your Father situation with one of the kids. Is currently suspected of killing him.
- Patrick Darling: the requisite kid who has to go into politics. Kinda sweet and ineffectual. Having an affair with Carmelita.
- Ellen Darling: Patrick's wife, who at first tries to deal with the Carmelita situation in a relatively reasonable manner, then loses it entirely.
- Karen Darling: Upper-Class Twit who's gone through many husbands and still conspicuously PINES for Nick, the only guy who presumably loved her for herself.
- Brian Darling: Jerk Ass Sinister Minister who gets kicked out of the ministry and goes to work for Tripp. The Unfavorite. Has an illegitimate son he was forced to take care of and claimed he was a Swedish orphan, but who he later got attached to. Taking the Kids happens to him a lot. He's also the son of Dutch and Letitia.
- Andrea: Brian's babymama, a Granola Girl. One of the most reasonable people on the show, despite her love for Brian. Has cancer.
- Jeremy Darling: The Charmer. Sweet and kinda earnest, but with a short attention span.
- Juliet Darling: A blatant Paris Hilton expy. Put On An Island due to Real Life Writes the Plot.
- Nick George: our beleagured hero.
- Lisa George: Nick's wife, Clingy Jealous Girl, for good reason thanks to Karen's blatant pushiness. Is very sick of the Darlings.
- Simon Elder: Arch-Enemy of the Darling family, gets romantically involved with Karen, both of them knowing why they're doing it to some degree.
- Carmelita: Patrick's Transsexual girlfriend.
- Nola Lyons: a lawyer who was originally prosecuting Leticia for Tripp's murder. Gets involved with Jeremy, which screws her law career (as Leticia intended), then talks Patrick into giving her a job as his chief of staff. Is being blackmailed by Simon Elder, who kidnapped her brother.