Series: Dating Agency Cyrano
Dating Agency: Cyrano
(연애조작단; 시라노) is a 2013 South Korean television series which aired from May 27, 2013 to July 16, 2013. The series is about a dating agency that orchestrates romantic scenarios for paying clients, all in an effort to raise enough money to save an old theater.
Dating Agency: Cyrano, which was based on the 2010 Korean movie Cyrano Agency
, is the 4th installment of tvN's ''Oh Boy! Project''
series. This drama series features star-studded line ups of flower boy leading men. The previous entries in this series are Flower Boy Ramyun Shop, Shut Up Flower Boy Band, and Flower Boy Next Door.
- Seo Byunghoon or Leader (played by Lee Jonghyuk) - The Stoic former genius theater director who served as Cyrano's "president" after the former president (his best friend Do-il) died. He started the Dating Agency in order to save the Cyrano theater as Cyrano's old president had a debt.
- Cha Seungpyo or Master (played by Lee Chunhee) - Owner of the restaurant next-door to the Dating Agency. Served as Minyoung's master and cooking teacher.
- Gong Minyoung or Gong Stone (played by Choi Sooyoung) - The Love Goddess who Thinks Like a Romance Novel. Will consider sabotaging the mission for the sake of the clients. Joined the Dating Agency after she got fired from her old job. At first, she was hesistant to join since she believed that the Dating Agency are manipulators, but that's exactly the same thing that happens at her old job.
- Moojin (played by Hong Jonghyun) - The Quiet One. The engineer who is the brains behind all the high-tech gadgets used by the agency in the field. He's also responsible for the high-tech van◊ with all the gizmos which is used to spy on the clients and the targets. Always seen playing with a silver Rubik's cube.
- Do Ahrang (played by Jo Yoonwoo) - The adorable Nice Guy. A 19-year-old high schooler who dreams of becoming a theater actor.
The Other Wiki
- Lee Minshik (played by Bae Seongwoo) and Go Youngdal (played by Kim Minkyo) - Seungpyo's loan shark goons, who intimidate Byunghoon into paying his debt. The Tagalong Kids who later become the Dating Agency's prominent actors.
- Hyeri (played by Ha Yeonjoo) - A Genki Girl waitress at Seungpyo's restaurant whose charms made The Stoic Moojin fall for her.
- Yoon Yiseol (played by Kim Junghwa) - Byunghoon's first love from high school. Was engaged to Do-il (who got into a car accident and died).
- Go Do-il (played by Lee Minwoo) - Byunghoon's deceased best friend who was also Yiseol's lover. One of the co-founders of the Cyrano Theater Troupe (along with Byunghoon and Yiseol).
has a list of the clients and the targets.
List of Tropes appearing in Dating Agency: Cyrano. Warning: SPOILERS AHEAD.
- The Ace - Leader Byunghoon as a stage director. He is still very well-known in his former school, as shown in episode 3.
- Affectionate Nickname -
- "Gong Stone" for Gong Minyoung.
- And after all these years, Yiseol still refers to Byunghoon as "Seo Il Rok", as per the Stage Name below. Aww.
- All for Nothing - All the mess in the last 3 episodes were just caused by a misunderstanding.
- Ax-Crazy - Hawaiian Shirt Guy.
- The Apprentice - Minyoung to Korea's #1 Chef runner-up Dokgo Mi-jin.
- Badass Longcoat - Byunghoon
- The Big Board - There are several◊ in the Dating Agency Headquarters.
- Big Eater - Minyoung. Possibly a homage to the actress who plays Minyoung (Choi Sooyoung) herself.
- Breather Episode - The first half of episode 14. The second half? Not so much.
- Born Unlucky - Creepy client Bong Soon-ah.
- Subverted in Byunghoon's case, since he only has "20 consecutive unlucky days" every 431 days.
- Cannot Spit It Out - Leader/Seo Il Rok in his school, was not able to confess his love for his "Watson", Yoon Yiseol.
- Even after they've met again presumably a decade later. Eventually he mans up and admits it though.
- The Casanova - Ahrang. Breaking hearts is all part of the job.
- Catch Phrase
- "Yes chef!" - Whenever Minyoung's cooking with someone.
- "Bingo" for Moojin.
- Caught on Tape - Ahrang when he was kissing the agency's client Ray's love interest Sekyung.
- Cherubic Choir - Background music while Moojin takes off his shades in slow motion to charm Mi-jin.
- The Chessmaster - All of the employees of the agency serve as this.
- Continuity Porn - The entirety of episode 15.
- Cool Old Guy - Byunghoon.
- Cool Old Lady - Moojin's grandma.
- Creepy Doll - Byunghoon's old marionettes which are displayed in their headquarters.
- Cute Bookworm - The client Joonhyuk's love interest Jae-in (a librarian).
- Darker and Edgier - The show started as a fun Romantic Comedy but it slowly grows darker and darker, especially in the last 3 episodes.
- Deadpan Snarker - Byunghoon. Minyoung at times as well.
- Dead Partner - The fireman's best friend from episode 11.
- Death of the Hypotenuse - Subverted by the fact that Yiseol did not have another relationship after Do-il's death, although she has admitted to Byunghoon that she loves him.
- Derailing Love Interests - Exactly what happened in the agency's client Ray's case, when it was revealed that his love interest Sekyung was actually in love with the Dating Agency employee Ahrang.
- Dialogue Reversal
Byunghoon: You will regret it for the rest of your life if you lose someone like him (master).
Minyoung: You will regret it for the rest of your life if you lose someone like me.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me! - Byunghoon to Minyoung when she found out that he also had his heart broken when he was a teen.
- Dramatic Wind - Invoked / Parodied when Ray was looking out the window.
- Dying for Symbolism - During episode 8, Byunghoon dreams of himself drowning to death. It turns out that it symbolizes the start of his unlucky period.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette - Moojin.
- Their client Bong Soo-ah who looks like she was straight out of The Ring. She works in a haunted house, after all.
- Epic Fail
- Minyoung tripping three times in a row in one single episode.
- Minyoung toppling over a smoke bomb inside the Dating Agency's van...
- Executive Meddling - The agency interfered when recruit Ahrang fell in love with Ray's love interest Sekyung. Byunghoon even considered abolishing the mission altogether for the sake of Ahrang.
- Evil Debt Collectors - Not actually evil per se, Min-shik and Young-dal. They're Seungpyo's Loan Shark goons as it was Seungpyo's money which was used for the agency. They even had temporary stints as employees of the Dating Agency.
- Face Heel Revolving Door - Master and his goons.
- Fangirls - A plethora of them for Ray (played by Lee Taemin).
- Four-Temperament Ensemble
- Choleric - Byunghoon
- Sanguine - Minyoung
- Melancholic - Ahrang
- Leukine - Moojin
- Friendly Rivalry - Ray and Ahrang.
- Byunghoon, and Seungpyo's brother Do-il. Also, Byunghoon and Seungpyo himself, at least until they got into a complicated love triangle.
- Gadgeteer Genius - Moojin. One of his best inventions is revealed in episode 9...
- Get Rich Quick Scheme - The Dating Agency was formed by Byunghoon in order to raise enough money to save the old Cyrano theater.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar - In episode 10, when the client and the target were locked together in a room...
- Glory Days - Byunghoon's tenure as a genius theater director.
- Happy Place - Ahrang's tent◊note at the agency. Filled with teddy bears.
- Home Base - For the Dating Agency, it's the abandoned theater originally from Do-il.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl - Darin and Mijin. Mijin is not very tiny per se, it's just that Darin is really, really tall.
- Humiliation Conga - As seen in the Epic Fail entry above, Minyoung tripping three times in a row. In one episode.
- And the entirety of what's happening during Byunghoon's unlucky period.
- Impossible Mission - In Choi Darin's case, since the girl he likes hates him a lot. However, nothing's impossible to the Dating Agency with a "100% success rate".
Byunghoon: You're going to get struck by lightning if you don't sleep at home.
Minyoung: Lightning my ass!
[ A really loud growl of thunder follows afterwards.]
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold / The Stoic- Byunghoon. Why? Hidden Depths, that's why.
- The Klutz - Minyoung.
- Lady Killer In Love- Ahrang, after target Sekyung confessed to him.
- Lawyer-Friendly Cameo - "Sooyoung" in episode 11.
- Leitmotif - One of the most recognizable ones is In The Same Storm by Big Baby Driver.
- Love at First Punch - The baker Darin fell in love with not-so-nice rival girl Mijin because he's the "M" in S&M.
- Love Confession - The clients and/or targets, of course.
- Love Hurts - As seen in the love triangles formed in the show.
- Luke, I Am Your Father - Seungpyo is Do-il's brother.
- The Matchmakers - The main role of the Dating Agency.
- Minored In Ass Kicking - Seungpyo.
- Nerd Glasses - Baker Choi Darin.
- Nice Guy - Ahrang who gave up his first love for the sake of the client.
- And young Byunghoon who didn't confess to his first love for the sake of his best friend.
- Noodle Incident - There are lots of them.
- Not What It Looks Like - Minyoung and Byunghoon once posed as a couple◊ for the sake of the mission.
- Old Flame - Yiseol to Byunghoon, because Nice Guys Finish Last.
- Older Than He Looks - Seungpyo is still quite the looker.
- Perma Stubble - Byunghoon.
- Pragmatic Adaptation - The show based on the 2010 movie Cyrano Agency.
- Pretty Boy - Moojin and Ahrang, to the point that Teen Idol Ray's manager tried to scout them (but they both declined).
- Psychotic Smirk - Hawaiian Shirt Guy. ALL THE TIME.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge - Seungpyo decided to sabotage and conquer the Dating Agency since he believes that Byunghoon was responsible for his brother's death (and because Byunghoon's getting in the way of the Seungpyo-Minyong couple).
- Scenery Porn - The painting which served as a backdrop in Byunghoon's play (which was his love interest Yiseol's handiwork).
- It's still there in Byunghoon's old school's abandoned theater.
- Seamless Spontaneous Lie - Usually by Byunghoon, who can come up with a lie on the spot. His stoic disposition helps a lot, and he was a genius stage director, after all.
- Secretly Dying - The nurse in the nurse-fireman arc.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend - And old man once mistook Byunghoon and Minyoung as lovers. But of course, they're just co-workers. Or are they?
Byunghoon: She (Minyoung)'s just a kid.
Minyoung: And he (Byunghoon)'s an old man.
- Shout-Out -
- To SNSD. The actress (Choi Sooyoung) who plays Minyoung is a member of that Girl Group, after all.
- In episode 3, the music video for Dream Girl by SHINee was being played on a TV set in Ray's classroom.
- The show's title itself is a shout-out to the play Cyrano de Bergerac. Both Byunghoon (in a flashback) and Ahrang were seen reading a Cyrano De Bergerac book.
- It was also shown in a flashback that Byunghoon and his colleaguesnote staged a production of this play at their school.
- Stage Name - Seo Il Rok for Seo Byunghoon, a reference to his childhood nickname, Sherlock. He is known for his Holmes-like accurate analyses.
- The Stoic - "The Robot" Moojin... have you seen him smile? Perhaps it only happens rarely.
- Not So Stoic - Throughout the show, he gradually begins to open up and talk a little more.
- Supreme Chef - Seungpyo, who owns a restaurant.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky - Byunghoon.
- Teacher/Student Romance - Seungpyo and Minyoung (although it was one-sided... at first).
- Teen Idol - Yang Hoyeol / Ray, played by Lee Taemin of SHINee fame.
- Those Two Guys - Seungpyo's goons do have names: Minshik and Youngdal.
- Through Her Stomach - Seungpyo in his failed confession to Minyoung. He said that he will cook for her everyday.
- Van in Black - The Dating Agency's van. Sometimes serves as a Base on Wheels.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist - The Dating Agency manipulates people's minds in the name of love, and even Minyoung herself hated all these manipulation. Keep in mind that they're actually the protagonists.
- What the Hell, Hero? - There are numerous cases, usually involves Byunghoon and/or Seungpyo.
- Seungpyo's goons trying to get Minyoung to like Seungpyo more. Just plain nuts.
- Wham Episode - And if you thought Seungpyo and his goons were bonkers, just watch episode 15...
- You Watch Too Much Dramas
- You Watch Too Much Movies - Minyoung once tried to open an envelope using kettle steam. Just like in the movies.