A character says something to another character, and the second character has some sort of snarky retort. Later on the second character says (or paraphrases) what the first character said, and the first character knows what to say back.
A subtrope of Ironic Echo
. See also Meaningful Echo
Films — Animated
Films — Live-Action
- In Rice Boy, during an encounter with a strange personage:
Rice Boy: "Are you following me?"
Personage: "No. I am going where you are going."
Rice Boy: "I see. Where will I go next?"
- Later, lost in the mountains:
Personage:"Are you following me?"
Rice Boy: "No. I am going where you are going."
Personage: "I see. Where will I go next?"
"To the home of Parod
- In The Empire Strikes Back, Leia tells Han, "I love you," to which he answers, "I know." In Return of the Jedi, Han tells Leia, "I love you," to which she replies, "I know."
- This one's made even better because the original "I know" was an ad lib by Harrison Ford.
- Batman Returns:
Batman: Mistletoe can be deadly if you eat it.
Catwoman: But a kiss can be even deadlier if you mean it.
[Later out of costume]
Selina Kyle: A kiss under the mistletoe. You know, mistletoe can be deadly if you eat it.
Bruce Wayne: But a kiss can be even deadlier... if you mean it.
Selina Kyle: Oh my God. Does this mean we have to start fighting?
- In the film Take the Lead:
"I've never seen anyone move like that."
- Don't forget the Back to the Future trilogy, where Doc is constantly confused by Marty's use of the term "heavy," while Doc is always exclaiming "Great Scott!" In the third film, when Marty realizes he could be shot by Buford Tannen instead of Doc, Marty instead exclaims "Great Scott!" and Doc falls right into place, saying the situation is "heavy."
- In the made-for-TV movie El Diablo:
- In The Princess Bride, during Inigo's duel with the Man in Black:
Inigo: You are wonderful.
Man in Black: Thank you; I've worked hard to become so.
Inigo: I admit it, you are better than I am.
Man in Black: Then why are you smiling?
Inigo: Because I know something you don't know.
Man in Black: And what is that?
Man in Black: You are amazing.
Inigo: I ought to be after 20 years.
Man in Black: Oh, there's something I ought to tell you.
Inigo: Tell me.
Man in Black: I'm not left-handed either.
- In The Asylum's 2010 Sherlock Holmes movie, Holmes and Watson are having an argument:
Holmes: I must say, Watson, that sometimes you behave just like a child.
Watson: And sometimes you behave just like an ass.
- Later, Holmes injures his leg and yelps in pain when Watson touches it.
Watson: Don't be a child, Holmes.
Holmes: Don't be an ass!
- In Men in Black, as James Edwards was being initiated by Agent Kay into the titular organization, there was this exchange:
Zed: Edwards, let's put it on.
Edwards: Put what on?
Zed: The last suit you'll ever wear.
Jay: Let's put it on.
Kevin: Put what on?
Jay: The last suit you'll ever wear... again.
- Appears in the Sword of Truth novel Stone of Tears between Richard and Sister Verna
- Monty Python's Flying Circus "An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't!'" "Yes it is." "No it isn't!"
- In an episode of Stargate SG-1, the team repeats the same few lines of dialogue regarding their eventual rescue, but who says which line changes.
"Hammond will find us."
"As am I."
- Guys and Dolls:
Sky (sings): Mine I leave to chance and chemistry.
Sarah (spoken): Chemistry?
Sky (spoken): Yeah, chemistry.
("If I Were A Bell")
Sarah (sings): Ask me how do I feel, from this chemistry lesson I'm learning...
Sky (spoken): Chemistry?
Sarah (spoken): Yeah, chemistry.
- In Mass Effect 2, when Shepard finds out Cerberus has revived him/her, s/he can respond "I don't care what they did, or what you say, I am not working with terrorists," which is marked 'I'll never work for Cerberus!' on the dialogue wheel. Shepard quickly discovers that, like it or not, Cerberus is the only group trying to find out why human colonies are disappearing. Eventually, Shepard meets up with one of his/her crew, who is thoroughly disturbed at Shepard's new employer. If you ask them to come with you, they say, "I'll never work for Cerberus!"
- In Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, when Kaz informs Snake that Amanda is demanding to fight despite needing crutches:
: If thatís what she wants, let her go. Kazuhira
: Iím really not in the mood for jokes, Snake. Big Boss
: Iím serious. Let her go. Kazuhira
: Why? So she can come back in a body bag? Big Boss
) Iím really not in the mood for jokes, Kaz...
- Happens in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World with the whole "Light frog"/"Nazdrovie" thing.
- Subverted in Season 6 of Arby 'n' the Chief, when Chaos Theosis assults the TOSERS's main server. Arbiter and Adam confront one another and exchange threats and insults at one another.
Adam : "I wouldn't shoot if I were you!"
Arbiter : "No? Is that because you're an idiot? That only gives me more incentive."
- Then when Adam has Claire hostage:
Arbiter : "If you even think of lifting your finger off the trigger you're gonna be real sorry, pal."
Adam : "Don't tempt me. Your empty threats are only giving me more incentive!..."