Chief: Max, you realize you'll be facing every kind of danger imaginable.
A standard television plot. An assignment is received in The Teaser
. A planning session is held (Avengers Assemble
). Then comes The Caper
or The Con
, using a Master of Disguise
and an A-Team Montage
. The resolution is as close to end of The Tag
as possible. At about the 40-minute mark, there is a Pseudo Crisis
The trope takes its name from the classic Mission: Impossible
television series, whose Impossible Mission Force did one of these every week. As such, note that not every impossible mission is an Impossible Mission
For missions that actually are
impossible, see Impossible Task
Not to be confused with the video game ImpossibleMission
. Also see Suicide Mission
- Not surprisingly, the Mission: Impossible television series featured this on a regular basis.
- Despite its few episodes, Firefly did two of these, in "Ariel" and in "Trash".
- Similarly, this occurred regularly on Alias
- Mercilessly parodied in the Whose Line Is It Anyway? game "Improbable Mission," which had agents given missions involving high stakes but ordinary tasks, such as doing laundry or mowing the lawn.
- Every mission of Breaking In seems easy at first, until complications pile up into this.
- In the South Korean television show Dating Agency Cyrano, the case for Choi Darin seems to be like this, since the girl he likes hates him a lot. However, the Dating Agency guarantees a "100% success rate"...
- Many episodes of Dinner: Impossible fall into this pattern.