While enjoying a day at the NASCAR races, Homer's shirtless antics inadvertently cause the death of Ned Flanders' wife, Maude, and Flanders begins losing faith when Homer bungles his way to helping his depressed neighbor.
- Credits Gag: During the credits that run underneath the first sequence of the episode, the writer credit is larger than ususal, timed to appear after Lisa comes across a tree with initials carved on it and wonders, "Why do jerks think everyone wants to see their stupid name?"
- Despair Event Horizon: Maudes death in the episode nearly destroyed Ned to a point that he momentarily refused to attend church because he believed that God punished him for no reason and ruined his life.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Ned's endowment◊ (which could be interpreted as either Homer using video special effects to entice women who watch his dating video or Ned actually having a large penis).
- Gilligan Cut: Ned tells his sons he won't attend church, saying "I'm going to sit right here and miss church. You just watch." Cut to Ned hurriedly driving, saying "Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry!"
- Parting Words Regret: Flanders regrets telling his wife "No foot longs" instead of "I love you" or something more meaningful.
- Pixellation: When Flanders is filmed taking a shower.
- Tonight, Someone Dies: The promos for "Alone Again, Natura-Diddily" literally asked: "Who will die?", and proceeding to list off a bunch of potential victims. Unfortunately, word got out before the episode aired that Maude would be the unfortunate one, so these promos didn't generate the expected suspense.
- 21-Gun Salute: In honor of the way Maude died, there's a twenty-one T-shirt-gun salute at her funeral.
- Wham Episode