Recap: The Simpsons S 9 E 7 The Two Mrs Nahasapeemapetilons
When Apu's mother from India comes to visit him to remind him of the arranged marriage that was planned for him since he was a child (which was referenced before on "Much Apu About Nothing"), Apu decides to pose as Marge's husband while Homer is sent to live in the Springfield Retirement Castle.
- Arranged Marriage: Apu is reminded that he has to marry a girl who was betrothed to him when they were children. He doesn't like the very idea of it.
- Bachelor Auction: Despite not being a contestant, Apu wins, being the most desirable man of the bunch. He quite enjoys it, too, dating several women.
- Bait and Switch:
- When Apu tells his mother he doesn't want to get married, it at first looks like his mother will accept his decision...but then she tells him to prepare for the wedding.
- When a mouse appears in front of elephant, the elephant looks like it'll act on the elephant stereotype of being afraid of mice...but then it squashes the mouse.
- Bowdlerization: In the scene of Bart using a holy book as kindling in the sacred fire, the original cut of the episode had the holy book as The Bible. When Mike Scully got complaints (and realized how tasteless the joke is), the scene was altered so that way Bart would be shown using a hymnal for the sacred fire.
- Casanova Wannabe: All the contestants at the bachelor auction. Moe, in particular, walks straight to the "Rejects" section almost immediately after being introduced.
- Continuity Nod: When Bart see Apu pass by on an elephant, he says he'd like one, to which Lisa reminded him of Stampy.
- Eek, a Mouse!!: When a mouse crosses the path of the elephant Apu's riding on, it raises it's hoof...before bringing it down and squishing the mouse.
- Faking the Dead: When Apu's marriage scam is exposed to his mother and she forces him to go through with his Arranged Marriage, Homer suggests Apu do this, but Apu, having had enough of Homer's schemes, tells him to shut up.
- Fawlty Towers Plot: Lampshaded.Apu: Is it me or do your plans always have some horrid web of lies?Homer: It's you.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Despite the fact Homer was trying to help Apu with all his schemes, he kind of deserved the beating he got from the elephant at the end of the episode.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: It turns out the girl who was promised to him grew up into a lovely woman. Manjula didn't feel any more inclined to marry Apu than he did, and did say if it didn't work out she was willing to get a divorce, but they ended falling in love with each other.
- Shout-Out: Moe walking onstage at the bachelor audition, and immediately heading to the "Rejects" section was a parody of an incident involving Redd Foxx at Las Vegas. He was planning on doing stand-up, but when he realized there were very few people in the audience, he walked straight off. This was also parodied in "Trash of the Titans" this same season.
- The Thing That Would Not Leave: Subverted with Apu's mother. After finding out that Apu's not actually married to Marge, she apparently decides to just have the wedding at the Simpson house. Marge goes along with it for some reason, and Lisa is the one to ask why Apu's mother is still staying with them.