Recap: The Simpsons S 9 E 6 Bart Star
Peewee football comes to Springfield as a means to fight childhood obesity, and when Homer becomes the coach (after Flanders angrily gives him the position to keep Homer from heckling him), he promotes Bart to star player status despite the boy's lack of talent.
- As Himself: Joe Namath and Roy Firestone.
- Bait and Switch: During a game, Chief Wiggum showed up to arrest Nelson. Bart said he'd stand in for Nelson. Cut to him being arrested in Nelson's place instead of playing in the game for him.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Marge told Homer it was easy to criticize, he said it was fun as well.
- When Homer realizes he's treating Bart the same way Grampa treated him, Homer says "From now on, I'll be nicer to my son and meaner to my Dad!"
- Homer calls a radio sports talkshow just to complain about Flanders. When they hang up on him, he is convinced it's a technical error, and repeatedly calls them back.
- Cross Over: Hank Hill and the cast from King of the Hill show up when Springfield plays against Arlen, drawn in their native way instead of being Simpsonized (though the promos did have the King of the Hill cast with yellow skin), though Hank is the only one who speaks.Hank: We drove 2000 miles for this?
- Fun with Acronyms: The store clerk asking Marge to spell "cup". "C-U-P. I wanna C-U—Oh, my God!"
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The store clerk asking Marge to spell "cup". "C-U-P. I wanna C-U—Oh, my God!"
- In the flashback of Homer's gymnastic routine, we get two:
- Hypocritical Humor: When Bart was declared fat, Homer called him a disgrace to their family, which is funny in two ways: 1) Homer is fatter than Bart, and 2) Homer has done worse things to disgrace The Simpsons than Bart has.
- Let's See You Do Better: In retaliation for Homer's constant criticizing of his job as peewee football coach, Flanders made him the new coach, prompting a scared Homer to say Flanders was doing a good job.
- Overly Narrow Superlative: Homer claimed Flanders was the worst coach Springfield's peewee football team ever had. Flanders was the only coach they ever had.
- Soapbox Sadie: Lampshaded. Lisa at first tries out for the squad to challenge the notion that girls can't play football, but Ned is all the more happy to let her join and points out they've already got four girls on the team. Deflated, Lisa switches tactics and accuses the team of animal cruelty for using leather footballs, until she's told the balls are synthetic and the money spent on them goes to charity. She promptly runs off in tears.
- Special Guest: Mike Judge as Hank Hill.
- Troll: The store clerk was very clearly trying to make Marge say "I want a C-U-P"...
- Where the Hell Is Springfield?: Apparently, it's 2000 miles away from Arlen, Texas.
- The Wildcats: Lampshaded and parodied.Flanders: Who are we?Springfield Wildcats: The Wildcats!Flanders: Who are we gonna beat?Springfield Wildcats: The Wildcats!